Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Critique My First Auto X

Old 06-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
outtatime703 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Critique My First Auto X

Well I finally took went auto-xing for first time. I drive a 2007 350z. First couple runs weren't that great as I was pretty nervous and still figuring out my car. I'd appreciate it if anyone could look at my runs and let me know what can be improved such as my approach, exit, etc.

The best times were in the high 30s and worst times were high 40s. By the end of the day I was running consistent 44.xx and hit 43.xx once.

The event was sponsored by Capital Driving Club. There were some decent cars there such as a Noble M400.

After the initial turn I leave it in 2nd the whole time. I tried running in 1st for the whole course but it was a bit jerky and I would bounce off the limiter on some straights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wIKmagM1Kk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y21oFlEbZgQ

Thanks
Old 06-23-2008, 06:57 PM
ermahgerd

bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada
Default Re: Critique My First Auto X

Its hard to tell because its not an on board cam. Next event, try to get some people to ride with you and point you in the right direction.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:04 PM
All stock. No modify

basketthis69 has disabled reputation

Brake before the turns... looked like on some of the turns you were braking hard after taking the turn just to slow down enough to turn the car...
Old 06-23-2008, 07:07 PM
All stock. No modify

basketthis69 has disabled reputation

particularly on the second video at about 16 seconds. the last turn after the straight. you should have slowed well before that turn. you could have been turning as you were passing the cone rather than having to stop. turn. then accelerate again. that should help out significantly. it's hard to not just go fast past every turn. you have to learn to slow down before the corners. it goes brake, turn, accelerate out of turn...

LOOKS LIKE FUN THOUGH! GL with it.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:51 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to get an on board cam next time and request for an instructor to sit with me and drive my car.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:57 AM
B.E.T.P.

hatchblack has disabled reputation

looks like a boring autox. merry go round
Old 06-24-2008, 09:04 AM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

be smooth and fluid. Sometimes slowing down will make you go faster.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

dsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond reputedsmSPYDER has a reputation beyond repute

Where was this event held? Are you on my350z?
Old 06-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

It was in Frederick, MD. This is their website http://www.capitaldrivingclub.com/. Registration is only open to members and their guests. I just became a member so if anyone wanted to register you can be my guest. I guess their courses are simpler but I'm just starting out hopefully I'll be able to do tougher courses next season. I'll be at the next event on July 6th. I go on my350z sometimes but not much. Do you own a 350z?
Old 07-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Madison Motorsports

white97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond repute

I have always been told the following....

Practice Throttle Control, be smooth with it
Always brake in a straight line, trying to brake while turning doesn't maximize your brakes.
If you don't knock over any cones during your day, you aren't getting close enough.
Practice, Practice, Practice. You think you know your car until you push it to the limits, keep doing the autocrosses, and learn your car, learn its limits, best thing i ever did was a rookie school with my local SCCA. I learned so much for a cheap price.

From looking at your videos i agree with what was said, braking a lil to late. I think you need to get closer to the cones, and on some of the turns seemed as if you could have turned in much sooner. couldn't really hear your car so i dunno how smooth you were with the throttle. But keep at it, and like was said, find an experienced driver who isn't in your class to ride along and give you some pointers. I also recommend keeping the car the same throughout the season, so you can learn about the car without having any modifications changing its characteristics mid season.

And i just realized the post date on this, so sorry im late. Hope you have a good time and continue doing it.