Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Broomstick test with a hardtop?

Old 02-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to all
Default Re: Broomstick test with a hardtop?

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
^ Sorry for the misinfo.... thanks for clarifying!

Theres a guy who autocrosses around here w/a white one w/ fender flares. Older guy and hes over 6 feet. We were taking a couple of years ago at ACU-4 and he let me sit in his... was the first time I had ever been comfortable in a Miata.
You talking about the white one with the silver stripes? He's at least 6'4" but I think he changed the seats.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Registered member

sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr

Originally Posted by Beach Cruiser
You talking about the white one with the silver stripes? He's at least 6'4" but I think he changed the seats.
Just goes to show Miatas can be comfortable for tall people... but only if you buy unpadded racing seats and bolt them directly to the floor. Not something you can really do if that miata is your daily driver.

I mean, I guess you *could*, but do you really hate yourself that much?

The good news is that NC (06+) gives a lot more leg room than NA/NB did, and they're finally starting to show up used. So there is hope

Originally Posted by Slimsta Jimsta
what are the rules on autocrossing a convertible? i wouldn't need a rollbar for that would i?
Stock is fine for autocross, no aftermarket rollbars or extensions required. Just make sure your battery is strapped down, tires aren't showing cords, and your car is cleaned completely out of loose stuff (even floormats). Lots of stock miatas autocross.

The rules for roll bars vary from track-to-track and by organization. For example, VIR does not allow dual-hoop structural rollbars; they have to have extensions added to go straight across to reduce the risk of digging in if the car rolls on the grass/gravel. But stock hoops are apparently allowed no problem at Summit Point and Blackwater, at least last I checked.

I tend to think VIR enacted that rule for a reason, though; I'm not sure I'd feel safe driving my convertible without a rollbar extension. Hell, I'm not even sure any amount of seat adjustment could my 6'1" ass can pass the broomstick test while wearing a helmet anyhow.

Last edited by sjfehr; 02-21-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:44 AM
Controlled Chaos

fourwhls is a name known to allfourwhls is a name known to allfourwhls is a name known to allfourwhls is a name known to allfourwhls is a name known to allfourwhls is a name known to all

Shawn,
With a hard top, it's really hard to tell whether you will pass the broomstick test or not.

I do have one word of advise...Don't be a cheap ass when it comes to safety. I've seen several track excursions that would have been much worst without the safety equipment.

Just think about it, if your car does roll and your head sticks above the bar your head will sustain all the impact.

You can pick up an used race seat pretty cheap. I bought my last ultrashield for $100. Harnesses can be purchased used super cheap all the time. The harnesses have an expiration date. Once that date passes, they can't be used in a sanctioned race, but they are more than fine for DEs or AX. I am running expired harnesses in my car now.

Let me know what else you are looking for...I have a parts car out back that has a few bits and pieces (performance not safety) that you may want.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:32 AM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

Originally Posted by fourwhls
Shawn,
With a hard top, it's really hard to tell whether you will pass the broomstick test or not.

I do have one word of advise...Don't be a cheap ass when it comes to safety. I've seen several track excursions that would have been much worst without the safety equipment.

Just think about it, if your car does roll and your head sticks above the bar your head will sustain all the impact.

You can pick up an used race seat pretty cheap. I bought my last ultrashield for $100. Harnesses can be purchased used super cheap all the time. The harnesses have an expiration date. Once that date passes, they can't be used in a sanctioned race, but they are more than fine for DEs or AX. I am running expired harnesses in my car now.

Let me know what else you are looking for...I have a parts car out back that has a few bits and pieces (performance not safety) that you may want.
Thanks Shawn.

I'm trying to keep it as stock as possible for now, just so I can have fun and drive the thing.

I've been looking on a few different sites for seats, but so far nothing has popped up. I think I'm going to try to do a foamectomy on the stock seat and try to make something to mount it straight to the floor instead of on the slider. I'll have to see how close I am to the rollbar when I get it installed.

With the silver car, my head was just about dead nuts with the rollbar with a helmet on, but I'm not sure how much shorter/taller the Hard Dog bar is gonna be.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:40 PM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

What's the ruling on a S2000 with a hard top?

Rollbar still required?

For some reason I seem to remember seeing them run with just a hard top.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:45 PM
OM NOM NOM E30

JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87

shawn if you end up finding smaller ultrashields...like 15"s...ill give you mine...which is a 16"

I need a smaller seat.

As for the hardtop...I would expect a fiberglass hardtop to help you much at all in a rollover.

My ultrashields are bolted to the floor, and my head still is really close with a helmet

Last edited by JETSWU87; 02-25-2010 at 01:53 PM.