Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

auto x questions. serious questions

Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 PM
VintageGashHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry
Default Re: auto x questions. serious questions

same rules for that im assuming?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Originally Posted by issues135
ive wanted to get into road course racing instead of drag racing it seems like fun
It's a lot more fun in my opinion. A lot more complicated too. And it lasts a lot longer.

I have ridden in lots of 11, 12, 13 second cars... on roadcourses... and the most boring part is their straight line speed. Did 160+ in a C6 Z06 on both straightaways at VIR the other weekend in fact, yawn. The climbing esses at 110+ in the same car during the same session was about 10000 times more fun.

But I'm admittedly biased, and I've never owned anything faster than a very high 13 second car, so maybe I'm doing it wrong
Old 10-19-2009, 06:59 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Originally Posted by captainsperry
same rules for that im assuming?
Same as autocross, although it is sanctioned/insured like HPDE. Basically, yes. We do a school in the morning too. You'd have a blast, I guarantee it
Old 10-19-2009, 07:01 PM
VintageGashHunter

captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry

yes! ill keep in contact with you . just let me know when and where. and see you there
Old 10-19-2009, 07:04 PM
at the track today?

Complete list - updated daily - of all the awesome-est events of this type can be found at

http://www.get-fast.net/calendar

^ keep an eye on that, 2010 sched will be out in the next month or two (hopefully)
Old 10-19-2009, 07:07 PM
cameron chaos

issues135 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by getfast
It's a lot more fun in my opinion. A lot more complicated too. And it lasts a lot longer.

I have ridden in lots of 11, 12, 13 second cars... on roadcourses... and the most boring part is their straight line speed. Did 160+ in a C6 Z06 on both straightaways at VIR the other weekend in fact, yawn. The climbing esses at 110+ in the same car during the same session was about 10000 times more fun.

But I'm admittedly biased, and I've never owned anything faster than a very high 13 second car, so maybe I'm doing it wrong
yea your doing it wrong haha but im sure there both equally fun it just cost more to have alot of fun dragracing haha i would like to do both but i have to get a decent car to run for road courses and i dont even know where to start
Old 10-19-2009, 07:14 PM
at the track today?

My take on the comparison...

Drag racing -> mostly about the car, less about the driver, the more you spend the faster it's over, measures only one thing a car & driver can do together

Road course -> mostly about the driver, less about the car (at first anyway), the more you spend the more distance you cover and speeds you see in the exact same amount of time (i.e. 20+ minute session) as the slower cars/drivers, measures many things a car & driver can do together, but over a period of time (again, 20+ minute session) not all at once

Autocross/Circuitcross -> mostly about the driver, less about the car (at first anyway), the more you spend the faster it's over, measures many things a car & driver can do together, and does so much more quickly - in terms of inputs per minute - than roadcourse or drag

Food for thought, hopefully.

PS- not knocking drag racing at all, I know it's expensive and difficult. Someone needs to take me for a ride in an 8 second car or something, and make me understand, hahaha. Currently I find it much more entertaining to go 60 around a fun corner than 160 in a straight line...
Old 10-19-2009, 07:23 PM
cameron chaos

issues135 can only hope to improve

yea ive rode in a 8 second car before and its rediculous you go from a stop to like 170 in no time the guy drivin was crazy we were ridin down theinterstate in maryland and he sprayed it it was a monte carlo
i also rode in a 1200 hp olds cutlass it was montecarlo guys brother he didnt go fast though but we were riding down the road in it haha
Old 10-19-2009, 07:37 PM
VintageGashHunter

i was telling my girl about the circuitcross, 2 of my best friends just got in accidents going to fast with in 8 days of each other. totaled their cars. the first flipped his truck trying to drift on a rock road. the second crississkater, well just look at his latest thread. he had a date with a tree. needless to say my girlfriend thinks im going to die doing circuitcross.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:45 PM
at the track today?

"We often hear that a driver 'lost control' and caused an accident. This kind of bland reporting should be followed by a little 'oops' as they all make it sound so innocent. I'm sorry, drivers don't lose control, they give it up. Either they're going too fast for conditions, get distracted by a shiny object, or simply run out of talent. Cars rarely spin out of control of their own volition." (David S. Wallens, Grassroots Motorsports magazine, August 2007, p34.)

No offense but it sounds like your friends brought those messes on themselves. And these events are perfectly safe if you drive smartly. That is, within YOUR limits. Although I will say... if you don't have some fear... and a healthy respect for the learning process... and the ability to put your ego aside... and the ability to accept instruction... and a concept of "volume knob, not light switch"... DO NOT sign up for these events.

Quick Reply: auto x questions. serious questions