Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

auto cross vs road racing

Old 02-05-2006, 06:41 AM
show no mercy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC
Default auto cross vs road racing

ive been a die hard drag racing fan and driver since i got int the "car scene". i want to dive into other automotive forms to become a more complete driver, and try new things (and have some fun!). so whats the difference between auto-x and road racing. and where do each take place (i want to try my hand at them). what style do you prefer? thanks for any input.

-Joe

what i think i know:

auto-x: short courses laid out by cones

road racing: track racing?

Last edited by 2JZ JC; 02-05-2006 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:14 AM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd
Default Re: auto cross vs road racing

Originally Posted by 2JZ JC
ive been a die hard drag racing fan and driver since i got int the "car scene". i want to dive into other automotive forms to become a more complete driver, and try new things (and have some fun!). so whats the difference between auto-x and road racing. and where do each take place (i want to try my hand at them). what style do you prefer? thanks for any input.

-Joe

what i think i know:

auto-x: short courses laid out by cones

road racing: track racing?
they are not really too different except for the speed, which then you have to perform different driving techniques to accomadate. autox is slower, so you can afford to be more aggressive and on the edge and will benifit more from it. road racing is faster so you have to be more smoother with all your inputs, not to mention paying attention to everything around you including your car's condition, other cars, course workers, etc.

If anyone wants to get into road racing, i definitely recommend autoxing first to get a handle on real 'on the edge' racing.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:16 AM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

You are correct.

Autocross looks like this:

http://www.get-fast.net/media/10505.wmv

Road Racing looks like this:

http://get-fast.net/roshenlap1.wmv

Here's where you find out more about autocross around here:

http://www.autocross.us

Here's where you find out more about roadracing around here:

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com
http://www.virclub.com
http://www.nasaracing.net

Any questions?

Hope it helps-

Jon
Old 02-05-2006, 10:26 AM
show no mercy

2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC

nice.

thanks
Old 02-05-2006, 01:44 PM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

road racing > everything else.

Nothing compares to the speed and thrill you will get at a track. The biggest plus to road racing for me is the length of runs. It's at least a half hour of flat out racing and you are shaking for a good 15 minutes after your done.

It's hard to explain but I've given up all my other hobies just to do it, and nothing else you do in a car comes close to VIR.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

Originally Posted by Axelerate
road racing > everything else.

Nothing compares to the speed and thrill you will get at a track. The biggest plus to road racing for me is the length of runs. It's at least a half hour of flat out racing and you are shaking for a good 15 minutes after your done.

It's hard to explain but I've given up all my other hobies just to do it, and nothing else you do in a car comes close to VIR.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:53 PM
WS6
www.autocross.us

WS6 is an unknown quantity at this point

The main difference is $$$$$.
Auto-x costs $$
Road Racing costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 02-05-2006, 07:58 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

...and HPDE/Driver's Ed on road courses costs somewhere in between.

Jon
Old 02-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

Originally Posted by WS6
The main difference is $$$$$.
Auto-x costs $$
Road Racing costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It all depends at what level you are talking about.

And to start this off right no one can just jump in a car and really go "Road Racing". All the sanctioning bodies have a program where you are checked off to go out on the track with other drives... and be actually "Racing".

So lets look at the very beginner. You have a safe car and want to experiance driving at both your limits and the cars limits. Well for $20 you get to run at local autocross with 4 runs and about 2-4 min seat time. Well if your funds so allow you can take that same car, change you brake pads and for $500 you get speeds of over 100mph, and about 2 hours of instructed track time. So $20 for 4 min AutoX = $5 min $500 for 120min (includes food and hotel) = 4.16 per min!!!

I look at it like this if I run 3-4 Track days a year I will use up:
$200 in tires
$100 in brake pads and rotors

If I go to 2 National SCCA Solo2 events I will use up:
$600 in tires (a new set for each event)
$100 in Brake pads and rotors

And if you add up all the entry fees I paid out in the past 2 years it would had up to about 4 track days.

IMO do them both!!!!

It looks like in '07 we will be building another car just for the track. It will have a very basic set up in what ever platform we decied to run. I figure a 94 or 95 integra, replace the bushings, suspension, gut it and add a role bar for the first year and then do FD and LSD or even a ITR swap and play away!!!! (The CRX just looks too nice now that its back from paint to whore it out on the track)
Old 02-05-2006, 09:09 PM
-DMD-

DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard

IMO road racing is more fun. As far as getting started, i got started with autocrossing. For one i didnt have enough money to go road racing, or for that matter go to a track event or driving school. Autocrossing is fun but the scare factor isn't there. Once I got a chance to go to a driving school and get instruction, I never wanted to leave. If you do get a chance to get on a track with an experienced instructor you will be hooked. As far as going "road racing" as mentioned earlier this is not as simple as it sounds. Which is where i'm at now. Once you have attended some driving schools and you feel you have what is takes to get a competition liscense then you can try and get into a comp school. Jon ^ listed some info on that above. Once you have a comp liscense assuming you have a car to race, you can begin racing as a rookie. Then the fun starts!

Last edited by DRFTwizard; 02-06-2006 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply: auto cross vs road racing