Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

2012 Virginia Autocross Schedules

Old 03-09-2012, 03:33 AM
American Infadel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bignasty718 has disabled reputation
Default Re: 2012 Virginia Autocross Schedules

From a non biased point of view what would be the best club to join? i'll be in central Va for next season, and it seems like all NASA events, intrested in autocross and have previously been a member of the SCCA in the Pan-Am region where i trophied 1st in the Rookie class. Hopefully gonna pick up a Subaru BRZ after deployment, depending on what class it gets put in.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Forcibly Repped

Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu

having run with both groups my take on it is this;

NASA - you're looking at mostly younger guys, usually faster more free flowing course designs, lots of runs, always a fun day, since it's NASA you get to know some of the people that put on the road course events at VIR

VMSC - good amount of elder statesmen with a HUGE knowledge base, they often have tighter smaller more technical courses (often do to venue constraints), there are some nitpickers in the group, I've had alot of fun times with these guys but also a few really frustrating events, you will learn car control period
Old 03-10-2012, 03:57 AM
Registered member

sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr

Originally Posted by bignasty718
From a non biased point of view what would be the best club to join? i'll be in central Va for next season, and it seems like all NASA events, intrested in autocross and have previously been a member of the SCCA in the Pan-Am region where i trophied 1st in the Rookie class. Hopefully gonna pick up a Subaru BRZ after deployment, depending on what class it gets put in.
Non-biased answer: all of them! There's very little rivaly to speak of, most people who get the autocross bug run with multiple clubs. Though, honestly, if you're just casually autocrossing a few times with each club, or expect to miss a number of events due to work/etc, no need to get membership at all, just sign up for each event, and come out and play

VMSC and NASA both run in the Richmond area, and use a lot of the same venues. VMSC is an independant club, but they use SCCA classing. There are some issues right now with MEP which have yet to be sorted out, but you can expect both clubs to run an autocross each month. NASA's the only club in the area with a winter series right now. Blue Ridge Region SCCA has a huge geographical area in the western half of the state, and may hold some events close to you, though most will likely be a drive. Washington DC Rregion SCCA runs in the DC area and Tidewater Sports Car Club and Old Dominion Region SCCA are in the Norfolk/VA Beach area. (Tidewater Sports Car Club uses SCCA classing, too.) For full disclosure, I'm a member of TSCC and ODR-SCCA, and run a few events each year as a non-member with both VMSC and NASA.

Last edited by sjfehr; 03-10-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:57 PM
American Infadel

bignasty718 has disabled reputation

Thanks for all the info. VMSC sounds alot like the Pan Am region i was a member of in El Paso. I'll be getting out of the military in October, so i'll probably see ya'll after that.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Registered member

sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr

VMSC's April 1st event at MEP has been rescuedule for March 25th at RIR.