Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

wtf... broken studs

Old 12-18-2003, 11:49 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts
Default wtf... broken studs

last night I was coming off the interestate and had to brake kinda hard at a light. when I let up off the brakes I heard something when my wheels were barely turning, like something on the rotors. (like a scratch... scratch)... the sound went with where the wheel was in relation to. I checked it out when I got home but saw nothing. I forget about it and go to work this morning. on the interestate my wheels start to vibrate pretty badly so I pull off and see 2 of my studs on my back left wheel are broken in half (opposite each other). I find one of my lug nuts near the car with part of the stud in it.

WTF?!!!! I don't know how to get home from work, this sucks. I guess I'm going to tighten the remaining 2 lug nuts and cross my fingers.

any ideas?
Old 12-18-2003, 11:51 AM
boom tick boom tick

Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum

eh
u need more than 2...
Old 12-18-2003, 11:53 AM
Captain night owl

vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger

you can get them replaced easily, if i remember corectly they just screw in from behind hehehe but gettin home that might be a lil dangerous. i wouldnt know where to get new ones though, prob a tire shop or a car dealership.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:55 AM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx

what kind of car do you have? replacing the studs can be a hassle on some cars. On the CRX, I had to get my bearing pressed out. All you really have to do is

remove the locking nut for your axle

remove the castle bolt from your swing arm

pull your brake pads and calibers off.

then I think its like 2 screws to get the hub off

after that you'll see if you just need to press the studs out or just knock them out with a hammer. Autozone has them for about $3 a piece and nuts are even cheaper. Bab Geon probably has performace studs for you.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:05 PM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

1991 nissan 240sx (4 wheel disc brakes)
Old 12-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

autozone can get you new studs... I had some of mine break off when i was putting new rims and tires on...it happens periodically.. To get the old ones out you need to jack the car up, remove the wheels. Then remove the brake assembly, including all of the calipers etc. now im sure you have 1 of 2 assemblies for getting the disk off.

1: there is nothing holding the rotor on but the pressure of the wheel... to remove just pull the rotor off and you can get to the studs.
2: there are screws holding the rotor on... just screw them out or drill them out if they are rusted... then the rotor should just pull off.

Once the rotor is off just hammer the broken studs out and stick the new stud in the hole. Get a thick washer and put it over the end of the bolt then put the new lug nut over it...tighten the lug so it pulls the new stud into its housing...so your basically seating it. once its snug repeat as necissary...

hope this helped some good luck
Old 12-18-2003, 12:38 PM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

get it flatbeded back - I wouldn't risk my ass driving with only half the studs. Then again, I know someone who I won't mention names who has been driving around with a stud missing on two wheels for quite some time now....
Old 12-18-2003, 12:51 PM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

replace all of the studs if you have to replace a couple. don't use aftermarket studs, either! motormite ones suck ballz!
Old 12-18-2003, 01:08 PM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

sears replaced mine for $30.

.. and don't drive it anymore.. for everyone's safety..
Old 12-18-2003, 02:12 PM

DuffMan is an unknown quantity at this point

lol that shit happened to my friend, just take off the wheel , put the 2 bolts in the screw holes , and it pops off , then bag out the broken studds, bang in the new ones, but the cover back on , make sure ur e-brake tension doesnt get messed up ( the spring you see on the top of the rotor) or u gota re-ajust it , he has a civic btw

Quick Reply: wtf... broken studs