Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Wiring Problem From Hell

Old 10-01-2007, 02:56 PM
13.5:1 Poor Mans R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kana has disabled reputation
Default Wiring Problem From Hell

Ok so i have a 92 civic Si with a JDM d15b. With that said i have a wiring problem. Here we go..

So one night after work i went to start my car to let it warm up. I turned my parking lights on like always. Right when i turned my headlights on, they got really bright and blew out. So i thought it was just the blubs, went and bought new Silver stars and the same thing happened when i put them in. Now my alternator was bad to begin with and never got around the changing it, well this time my ground wire was really loose and sparks flew everywhere when i tried to start it. Turned the car off when that started happening. Now every time i turn the key to Acc. it blows the ASG and the SRS fuse. I dont know what to look for or do cause i know nothing about wiring.

If anyone has ANY input, please feel free to PM me or leave a little something on here.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO
Default Re: Wiring Problem From Hell

check the alt. fuse under the dash.

i had to replace my driver side fuse box, b/c i was throwing a ELD code.

i replaced the fuse box, and 1 o2 sensor, and the code never appeared again.

check the codes if any, check the fuse box under the hood for the hazard fuse, and then under the dash for the ALTernator fuse.

just have patience boo!!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:08 PM

I replaced the whole underdash fuse box and still the same problem. I cant check the codes cause once i turn on the Acc. the check engine light goes off when the other lights go off.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Autophobic

CivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud of

check wiring for short to ground
Old 10-01-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by CivicDuty
check wiring for short to ground
Does it sound like JUST a ground? Or maybe 2 wires burned together or what?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kana
Does it sound like JUST a ground? Or maybe 2 wires burned together or what?
Sounds like a dead short to ground on a fairly large wire. Check the wires running to the positive battery terminal, the alternator, any other larger wires, to make sure the insulation is fully intact, and it isn't shorting itself to ground. Those fuses you're blowing aren't small, and it takes a lot of current to cause that problem. You may also want to have the battery tested while you're at it. Usually, a short is very bad for a battery.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by HondaRules!
Sounds like a dead short to ground on a fairly large wire. Check the wires running to the positive battery terminal, the alternator, any other larger wires, to make sure the insulation is fully intact, and it isn't shorting itself to ground. Those fuses you're blowing aren't small, and it takes a lot of current to cause that problem. You may also want to have the battery tested while you're at it. Usually, a short is very bad for a battery.

Well i bought a new battery and terminals when it shorted out. So i know those are good. Ill check the grounds tomorrow when i get off work. The only thing is, i cant really get to it because its under the intake manifold. But ill do my best! Thanks!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kana
Well i bought a new battery and terminals when it shorted out. So i know those are good. Ill check the grounds tomorrow when i get off work. The only thing is, i cant really get to it because its under the intake manifold. But ill do my best! Thanks!
Grounds hitting the body won't cause a problem.

A "hot" wire, or positive terminal wire, making contact with a ground, or the body of the vehicle, engine block, head, transmission, other grounded part, etc. will.

I'd look for signs of arcing, melted insulation, etc., on a 12V primary wire first. Usually, a smaller wire would have the potential to burn through before a 40A fuse.....and would be why most of those are covered with a 20A or smaller fuse. The fact it took out many of the primary fuses, leads me to believe it could be the positive terminal battery cable, or starter feed shorted to ground. That's a good place to start.

Also, make sure the battery terminals aren't hitting the hood, or something of that nature. Same difference!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Slowest HRC Member

Also, check the 12V feed to the headlamps. (The actual headlamp wiring.) Given that trying the headlights initially caused the problem, there's a chance it could be those wires as well.

Where in NN are you, BTW?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Slowest HRC Member

I happen to be in the Denbeigh area....

Quick Reply: Wiring Problem From Hell