Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Window off track

Old 12-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the rough
Default Window off track

Ever since I have got my car 2 years ago, the driver side window comes off track. I've fixed it probably about 10 times. I must be sucking at something because it keeps coming off track. It's a 99 honda Civic. I've been told that those windows don't have the best recond for staying on track.

I plan on putting new carpet in my car, so I dont want to get it messed up with rain water that gets in the car.

I know this is kinda one of those things, you have to see if I'm doing something wrong. So I will make a kinda step by step of what I do to see if I'm missing something.

-Remove door panel
-Roll window down enough to loosen the screws
-Lift window out
-Align window in the tracks
-Tighten screws
-Install door panel

Easy as that, no I cant figure out why it keep coming off track. Maybe I'm missing something?

Any help would be awesome!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

weldmatic has disabled reputation
Default Re: Window off track

Originally Posted by cleanEK
Ever since I have got my car 2 years ago, the driver side window comes off track. I've fixed it probably about 10 times. I must be sucking at something because it keeps coming off track. It's a 99 honda Civic. I've been told that those windows don't have the best recond for staying on track.

I plan on putting new carpet in my car, so I dont want to get it messed up with rain water that gets in the car.

I know this is kinda one of those things, you have to see if I'm doing something wrong. So I will make a kinda step by step of what I do to see if I'm missing something.

-Remove door panel
-Roll window down enough to loosen the screws
-Lift window out
-Align window in the tracks
-Tighten screws
-Install door panel

Easy as that, no I cant figure out why it keep coming off track. Maybe I'm missing something?

Any help would be awesome!

check the bottom of the inside of your door. if theres 10mm bolts there your doors falling apart. theres two bolt holes that hold a bar that aligns the track. bolts in around where the armrest would go. sometimes one bolt will fall out and give you a headache. once you get the door panel off you should know what im talking about.

if this is the prob tighten them bastards with some loc tight and you should be good
Old 12-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Get some grease and make sure all of the tracks are lubed up properly. If the window track design isn't that great, friction will cause forces to act in the wrong directions and can make the windows come off track. I'm not sure if that is what the problem is for your car, but that is a common problem for many car models. I would imagine that whatever is happening to your car is only happening on the drivers side, because it has the most use and wear, and that it wasn't happening when the car was new. So something has changed since it was new, and if nothing is bent, broken, missing, etc., the problem is coming from some sort of wear and tear or a friction problem.

So next time you have the door panel off, make sure to grease everything up nicely and see if that helps.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Faulty regulators in 96-00 civics are well known as well.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

ethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Get some grease and make sure all of the tracks are lubed up properly. If the window track design isn't that great, friction will cause forces to act in the wrong directions and can make the windows come off track. I'm not sure if that is what the problem is for your car, but that is a common problem for many car models. I would imagine that whatever is happening to your car is only happening on the drivers side, because it has the most use and wear, and that it wasn't happening when the car was new. So something has changed since it was new, and if nothing is bent, broken, missing, etc., the problem is coming from some sort of wear and tear or a friction problem.

So next time you have the door panel off, make sure to grease everything up nicely and see if that helps.

something better than grease is silicone spray..it can be bought at walmart in the auto section..it fixed my ek and my friends ek with the exact same problem..because grease gets sticky and hardens in time, silicone doesnt...just start at the top and spray it down both sides of your track and you should be good
Old 12-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Synthetic grease works fine. Silicone spray isn't the greatest for this application, it's going to get displaced and will need fairly frequent reapplication. If it doesn't, you didn't need lubrication that bad.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:14 PM
FTW

GuNnErgOd is an unknown quantity at this point

If you've never replaced your regulator, try that. Your window will move about 100% faster than before. Grease the regulator and the gear as well. This should help your problem.. for a little while.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Registered member

jdm2u has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by weldmatic
check the bottom of the inside of your door. if theres 10mm bolts there your doors falling apart. theres two bolt holes that hold a bar that aligns the track. bolts in around where the armrest would go. sometimes one bolt will fall out and give you a headache. once you get the door panel off you should know what im talking about.

if this is the prob tighten them bastards with some loc tight and you should be good
Originally Posted by I spy Psi
Faulty regulators in 96-00 civics are well known as well.
Originally Posted by GuNnErgOd
If you've never replaced your regulator, try that. Your window will move about 100% faster than before. Grease the regulator and the gear as well. This should help your problem.. for a little while.
i have down all 3 of these buy new motor/regulator make sure 10mm tight spray grease or oily substance of your choice you shouldnt have n more problems!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation
Re: Window off track

i have the same problem in my 96 . i have replace the seal,reg assembly , alingment bars greased it and still comes offf track atleast 3 times a yr. pisses me off .fine during the winter though .
Old 12-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Registered member

00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts

mine did that a few times i just got longer screws and it hasnt happened since and that was over a year ago

Quick Reply: Window off track