Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

why does my freinds car sound like a wrx?

Old 10-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaydmdc2 has disabled reputation
Default why does my freinds car sound like a wrx?

so my friend just got a d16y8 put in his 93 civic coupe ex. and the guy that put the motor in for him put a new timing belt on it before he put the motor in so i go to check the cam timing, i put up mark up on the cam gear and tdc on the crank pulley isn't lined up at all. i take the timing belt off and get everything right crank it back up and it still sounds like a wrx. he's throw codes 1,14,21 oxygen sensor, iacv,vtec spool switch. i know the idle going up and down because of the iacv but what would cause his car to miss like this. oh also he's using his d16z6 dizzy on it.shouldn't the y8 and z6 dizzy's mount the same cuz only one bolt hole lines up and that one bolt is the only thing holding the dizzy on but it's on tight. when your puting the timing belt on the y8's are your to suppose to make the came gear off 1 tooth like on the d16a6 or is the up mark suppose to be strait up?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:26 PM
yaaat.

ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington
Default Re: why does my freinds car sound like a wrx?

Are all the plugs in? Hooked up? And in the right firing order?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:32 PM
<3 2JZ

LSVTECEG757 has disabled reputation

my hatch sounded like one when i blew the head gasket and split the block. But most likely its firing incorreclty
Old 10-21-2008, 06:32 PM
I <3 KARMA!

resideinVA has disabled reputation

usually if it sounds like that a common cause is a misfire
so go with what was stated in post 2 as a start
Old 10-22-2008, 02:56 AM
HF rex in the w0rkz

zErrixGTR is an unknown quantity at this point

lol

my buddy dropped a b16 into his rex late last year, and for some reason it sounded like a WRX. His head gasket was fine, because it was a BRAND NEW gasket. He even bought a 2nd 1 just to make sure.

Still sounded like a WRX.

We ended up finding out/realizing that it was only firing 3 of 4 cylinders... rofl - don't ask, cause i don't know how the hell the car was driving, but he drove it like that for about 3 months with nothing wrong with the engine.

Thinking that it was the engine, and that he just got a shit engine, he decided to purchase a b20 and drop it in. Low & behold, we dropped in it & started it up, still sounded like a WRX.

We re-wired the entire car (that was annoying), wire-tuck, etc., etc. Checked the ECU - Oh noes! The ECU LITERALLY looked like it was found in the middle of the ocean, dried out, and sold to my buddy (considering we opened it up, and theres nothin but a BUNCH of just... nasty gunk on the inside, never seen it on any electronics before lol)

Anyways, try checking the ECU. Could be a good cause of the mis-fire. Or, you can do just as post 2 said - check the head gasket. IF the gasket is not the case, i would definately check the ECU.

As simple as it would've been for him to just grab someone ECU off here, he went and bought and entirely new engine lol
Old 10-22-2008, 07:10 AM
...pulls trailer!!!

TurboEG8 TurboEG8 TurboEG8 TurboEG8

probably bent valves

hit me up i have a tool box full of single cam head parts
Old 10-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Needs a fast car now

NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET

Maybe one of the injectors aren't firing my sr20 use to sound like a wrx/chewbacca when one of the injectors wouldn't fire.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:19 AM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

check the wiring on the ecu and make sure everything is in right, my b20vtec sounded like a wrx and it's because it was only firing on 3 cylinders and it was from pulling the ecu out and not being gentle and it was barely noticeable....
Old 10-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

1rude2l has disabled reputation

First off wrong dizzy, a d16y7 bolts right up just fine. Did you set the ignition timing? along with what everyone else has stated.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

1slowcivic 1slowcivic 1slowcivic

check timing if its retarted or advance it can cause a bad missfire. you also mention that timing mark was off? by how much (teeth) if its too much you might have multiple bent valves and can cause a miss fire, do a compression test or a leak down test to make sure you don't have that problem can save you alot of money

Quick Reply: why does my freinds car sound like a wrx?