Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

In what order should i do my mods?

Old 03-04-2005, 09:46 PM
fabricated reality

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kawgomoo can only hope to improve
Default In what order should i do my mods?

i read through here and notice that most problems people encounter come from building there cars in the wrong order. i know people want to get the most bling items first and then "fine tune" it later.

if you plan to go to a bigger turbo, go to a turbo in general, make radical mods of any kind you are going to need some sort of EMS. the sooner you admit this to yourself the better.

suby guys have the UTEC, honda guys have hondata,AEM makes EMS for all sorts of cars, apex-i makes a plug n play computer for various models. AFC'S suck balls. they are ok for small changes, or on cars that are already boosted. but for n/a to boosted apps.. they really blow nuts. not to mention theres no timing control.

piggybacks get complex, expensive, make the engine bay and under dash congested and finally just plain work poorly at best!

keeping this in mind, if people who plan on modding there cars would put some sort of EMS in the car FIRST then add mods from there. the cars would make more power sooner, be more reliable overall, cost people much less in needless engine rebuilds.

i just put wide band air fuel and datalogging on a friends mostly stock car and realized how nice it is to have a datalog of all the stock shit. to know what everything looks like when everythings running as the suby gods intended. now when im tuning in the future ill have something to go back to and look at, making part throttle tuning much easier seeing as how ill already have air/fuel target tables.

just rambling.... but the life i save may be my own.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:57 AM
cibic weetec

GIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In what order should i do my mods?

how hard was it to install the innovative wideband setup? i'm really really close to buying one just to keep tabs on my a/f ratio. also, did it come with a guage so you can watch it on the fly, or just the datalogger unit?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:12 AM
fabricated reality

kawgomoo can only hope to improve
Default Re: In what order should i do my mods?

Originally Posted by GIMMEAN"H"
how hard was it to install the innovative wideband setup? i'm really really close to buying one just to keep tabs on my a/f ratio. also, did it come with a guage so you can watch it on the fly, or just the datalogger unit?
we bought the turboxs "tuna" which is datalogger and wideband controller. it has a display on it so u can watch it on the fly.

the aem UEGO is pretty cool, because its controller is inside a normal size guage you can put in your pillar pod, and has both the digital readout and the sweepy thing. not sure if it has any data logger hookups though, seeing as how its made to plug into the aem. {1 wire hookup, widebands are basically universal}

oh yeah to answer your question the hardest part of the install is welding in the extra O2 bung. other than that its one lead from the computer to the sensor, and inside the car one wire for 12volts on more for ground... cake