Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

What ecu do i need?????

Old 06-06-2003, 07:21 AM
jon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What ecu do i need?????

i have a 94 gsr with the gsr wiring harness in it, the thing is i was an idiot and traded my stock gsr motor for a built ls motor. so currently in my car is the obd1 gsr wiring harness, and an ls ecu.

im getting a 2001 gsr motor this weekend, but what will i need to get this thing in my car ie. ecu? i heard that i need a obd1 gsr ecu, and an obd1-obd2 conversion harness. but that will rin me 400 bux and ill still have to install it myself, should i get a p28 chipped ecu? any help is greatly appreciated, so let me know thanks.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:36 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

if you have a 94 car, 94 gsr wiring harness, and a 2001 gsr motor, all you have to do is remove the crank angle sensor and the intake temp sensor from manifold on the 01 gsr motor and your 94 wiring harness will fit, thats what i did on my 94 car and my motor is a 98 obd2, or you can swap manifolds to a obd 1 manifold, your going to need the obd1 gsr ecu back or some other computer that can control vtec...like the p28, must be obd1......

Last edited by MORE IMPATIENT; 06-06-2003 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:50 AM
EEK
卐 Walnuts

EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK

yup what he said..just swap the manifold and distributor <(not sure )..might as well go hondata while your at it =)
Old 06-06-2003, 04:31 PM
jon

thats what i was thinking , if i go hondata on a chipped p28 will taht work and i wont have to replace the distibutor and intake manifold? jsut wondering how hondata can over ride all that
Old 06-06-2003, 06:22 PM
jon

if i have the obd1 ecu will i need a obd1 to obd2 conversion harness to plug it into the obd2 motor?
Old 06-07-2003, 09:04 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

only if you have the obd2 wiring harness, also. if you are using the obd1 wiring harness, re-read what MORE IMPATIENT said one more time...

right?
Old 06-07-2003, 03:49 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Does the 2001 GSR motor still have the secondary runners like the earlier GSRs? If so, and you still have the stock manifold, you'll want to get a P72 (OBD1 GSR) ECU to control the IAB (secondary runner control).. That is the only ECU with that capability. If you don't have the manifold with the secondary runners, a chipped P28 would work perfectly fine for you. And like mo' impatient said, you don't need an adapter harness. All that does is adapt the connector type, which you don't have to do. Anyway, most B16 programs will work fine on a GSR motor with a single runner setup..

If you need your ECU chipped let me know, I give cheap rates for local people..