Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

what do air breathers do?

Old 11-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
757 BMW 525i is on a distinguished road
Default what do air breathers do?

what do air breathers do?
Old 11-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

uptownspeedstar
Default Re: what do air breathers do?

Breathe air.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:53 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you're talking about valve cover breathers, they vent air from your valve cover into the atmosphere instead of back into your air intake.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:08 AM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you're talking about valve cover breathers, they vent air from your valve cover into the atmosphere instead of back into your air intake.
in most cases, pointless
Old 11-23-2005, 10:26 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by JDM_EF8
in most cases, pointless
most cases, your right..but if your turbo or running super high compression, they do tend to let you know if anything is wrong with your motor, and for the people with super high crankcase pressures, help your dip stick from blowing out. and im sure you already knew all of that so it was kinda pointless to type it all. haha.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

88CRXHFBSTNG has disabled reputation

mine emits huge amounts of smoke. then again pistons 3 and 4 only had 90psi compression when I tested them.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:18 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by 88CRXHFBSTNG
mine emits huge amounts of smoke. then again pistons 3 and 4 only had 90psi compression when I tested them.
cracked ring lands is a mother.ha.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
most cases, your right..but if your turbo or running super high compression, they do tend to let you know if anything is wrong with your motor, and for the people with super high crankcase pressures, help your dip stick from blowing out. and im sure you already knew all of that so it was kinda pointless to type it all. haha.
yep, i have a 12.2 compression motor in my integra. i have a clear tube hooked up to mine and u can see where a little oil blows out at high rpm.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Dont guess, diagnose

連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入

Actually the truth about the Valve Cover Air Breather is this:

It is actually part of the PCV system. It provides atmospheric pressure for the opposite side of the PCV valve. Typically there is a tube attached to it to the air intact tract. This way if oil is to pass through it the oil will be consumed into the combustion chamber. Instead of it making a mess in the engine bay.

You can easily fabricate a oil catch can and place it the place of the orignal hose. Just have a new peice of hose attached to both the inlet and outlet tubes to go to the intake and valve cover.

Or you can get on EBAY and find the GReddy unit for about $50....cheap, has a purpose, BLING!

Last edited by 連続注入; 11-23-2005 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:40 PM
git down on it

judge judge judge judge judge judge judge judge judge judge judge

they look retarded i might add. plus that little fluid level thing on the side is pointless. nobody needs a catch can unless they have some serious blowby which means their motor is done for. the best thing you can do is get some bypass valves hooked up to your exhaust to vent out crankcase pressure. which also in turn gives you some hp.

Quick Reply: what do air breathers do?