Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

weird problem..

Old 09-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond repute
Default weird problem..

Well i've had a problem with my idle for a while now and i'm really not sure what's up with it here's the deal: It's been idling from 1-1.5k in neutral or with clutch in, just recently when I start it up it will sometimes just sit at 2.5k. When I had the car inspected/oil change I had that problem checked as well and they said it was a bad IAC valve. I had my friend check it out who knows alot about civic motors and motors in general. He said that it was probably the iac valve and had an extra one to swap it out an test. He swapped the two iac's and we had the same problem so obviously they diagnosed the problem wrong and it just continued to be the same thing for a while. Just recently it will occasionally go to the 2.5k idle and neutral but when i'm driving (especially in neighborhoods) I can leave the car in 1st/2nd/3rd and the car will literally pull itself without me even touching the gas. It's really starting to freak me out and I have no idea what to do to get it fixed considering the shop diagnosed it wrong in the first place. Can anyone lead me to the light and try to help me figure out whats wrong, I'm not throwing any check lights and my engine is a JDM D15B Longblock all stock with the exception of an intake that is "custom" fitted for my car (pm me for details on that rofl) and i'm really clueless as to where to go from here. ANY help is appreciated and I apologize for the long post but the explanation was necessary.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:54 PM
Banned

89sihatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: weird problem..

coolant leak? i had it happen. vacuum leak?
Old 09-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Registered member

cleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the rough

its either a vacuum leak or your trottle cable is to tight.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Registered member

driveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond repute

any way i could tell which problem it is without taking it to get it checked out, i'd prefer to start learning to do my own work so any links to sites that could explain it would be great. Or anyone willing to drive to my house an show me is cool as well :P, i'll pay for your dinner!
Old 09-26-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm worse drugged

esohsee has disabled reputation

i need dinner...
Old 09-26-2006, 08:07 PM
JAY SPEC

00civichatch 00civichatch

sounds like a massive vacuum leak to me

spray some carb cleaner around the manifold see if it gets sucked in, the rpms with change if it does.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

TypeRDC5 is an unknown quantity at this point

go to advanced auto parts, run their OBD2 on your car, its free, check what code is being thrown..then go from there..if no code is being thrown then adjust your idle, via idle screw or cable..i cant imagine you have a vaccume leak..bc it was a leak, your car would run like crap and youd know..
Old 09-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Sup, ladies?

Lestar Lestar Lestar Lestar Lestar Lestar Lestar Lestar Lestar Lestar Lestar

Have you tried taking off one of the battery terminals for about 30 seconds (to reset the ECU) and then put it back on?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Registered member

so i noticed today that if i pull up from underneath the gas pedal the engine will drop back down to idle at 1 - 1.5k like it was doing... could this be two seperate problems now?
Old 09-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

sprack is on a distinguished road

where are you located...i dont mind taking a look at it

Quick Reply: weird problem..