Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Want to get rid of the fanboi wiring

Old 07-23-2009, 01:18 PM
やくざに成りたい

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atmdc has disabled reputation
Default Want to get rid of the fanboi wiring

Ok well i want to completely redo the accessory wiring in my car (89 hatch) and since its a honda you know its not pretty at all. Is there some kind of accessory fuse box or something I can mount that would still be 12v ign. powered and have everything neatly ran to fuses for each one?
Old 07-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Want to get rid of the fanboi wiring

There are a lot of fuseholders on the market that have a single power input and a bunch of fused power outputs, usually with automotive blade or mini-blade fuses.

Go here; what you probably want is a fuse panel. Panels usually have a single (common) power input:

http://www.delcity.net/store/Fuses-&-Fuse-Accessories/

There are many other places to buy stuff like that too, I just happened to know that they sell that sort of stuff.

If you have accessories that are anything but very low current, I would run a wire from the battery and use a relay to switch power to the fuse panel, or something like that. You can use the ignition power to turn the relay on when the ignition is active. You don't really want to draw much power off of the ignition power circuit because it is only designed and rated for a certain amount. It really depends on what you have for accessories though.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Banned

stinks will become famous soon enough

trickwiringlrc or something like that has some stuff for pretty cheap... google them
Old 07-23-2009, 04:41 PM
やくざに成りたい

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
There are a lot of fuseholders on the market that have a single power input and a bunch of fused power outputs, usually with automotive blade or mini-blade fuses.

Go here; what you probably want is a fuse panel. Panels usually have a single (common) power input:

http://www.delcity.net/store/Fuses-&-Fuse-Accessories/

There are many other places to buy stuff like that too, I just happened to know that they sell that sort of stuff.

If you have accessories that are anything but very low current, I would run a wire from the battery and use a relay to switch power to the fuse panel, or something like that. You can use the ignition power to turn the relay on when the ignition is active. You don't really want to draw much power off of the ignition power circuit because it is only designed and rated for a certain amount. It really depends on what you have for accessories though.
theres something like that fuse block in there now but im not sure if its wired correctly. there are fog lights, a tach a cig lighter, and subs. do you have a diagram for the relay set up?
Old 07-23-2009, 04:47 PM
やくざに成りたい

so in other words, the ign would just power the relay, which would then just switch current from the ignition circuit to the battery? that makes a shit ton of sense. shoulda thought of that.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:05 PM
やくざに成りたい

so i drew this up from a relay diagram i found. would this be correct? and if so, could i just get some kind of grounding block to run all the ground wires to?

::edit:: dont mind that random "fuse" up there lol
Old 07-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by atmdc
so in other words, the ign would just power the relay, which would then just switch current from the ignition circuit to the battery? that makes a shit ton of sense. shoulda thought of that.

No.. The battery would supply current to the accessories (if they're additional accessories that didn't come stock with the car) and the ignition power turns the relay coil on. That way you aren't actually putting any additional load on the ignition circuit, except for the relay coil which is less than 1/10 of an amp. Basically you're adding a completely new circuit to the car specifically for the accessories so you won't be adding any additional load to the existing ignition circuit.

This is especially important if you have a sub amplifier, which can usually draw a significant amount of current. Amplifiers are specifically designed to have their own power, etc., so they don't need to go on the same circuit as the rest of the accessories. All of the rest of the accessories will do great with their own accessory circuits, and in fact the foglights should probably go on their own relay (which can go after the fuseholder) so they can be turned on with the headlight switch or some other switch instead of just the ignition.

Relay wiring diagrams for standard (Bosch type) automotive relays are everywhere, Google will find what you need. Have fun wiring!
Old 07-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Racetracks

so i drew this up from a relay diagram i found. would this be correct? and if so, could i just get some kind of grounding block to run all the ground wires to?

::edit:: dont mind that random "fuse" up there lol
That's pretty much it, yeah. I haven't actually looked at the relay pinout but you can check that on your own. You're getting the idea though.
You just need a decent sized wire (rated for the total current obviously) to go to the fuse panel, and then smaller wire (rated for the individual device current) to go to each accessory. Same with any grounds.

Some of the fuse panels have a common ground area also, I saw at least one at DelCity that did.
Like this one:
http://www.delcity.net/store/ATC%C2%...ad/p_11262.a_1

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-23-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:16 PM
やくざに成りたい

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
No.. The battery would supply current to the accessories (if they're additional accessories that didn't come stock with the car) and the ignition power turns the relay coil on. That way you aren't actually putting any additional load on the ignition circuit, except for the relay coil which is less than 1/10 of an amp. Basically you're adding a completely new circuit to the car specifically for the accessories so you won't be adding any additional load to the existing ignition circuit.

This is especially important if you have a sub amplifier, which can usually draw a significant amount of current. Amplifiers are specifically designed to have their own power, etc., so they don't need to go on the same circuit as the rest of the accessories. All of the rest of the accessories will do great with their own accessory circuits, and in fact the foglights should probably go on their own relay (which can go after the fuseholder) so they can be turned on with the headlight switch or some other switch instead of just the ignition.

Relay wiring diagrams for standard (Bosch type) automotive relays are everywhere, Google will find what you need. Have fun wiring!
thats what i meant, but i guess i didnt word it correctly, thanks! +rep for u

one more question though, could i essentially run all the accessories from the fuse panel to one relay? fog lights and all?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Racetracks

one more question though, could i essentially run all the accessories from the fuse panel to one relay? fog lights and all?
That's what you have in the diagram, isn't it?