Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

VW belt tensioner

Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond repute
Default VW belt tensioner

So a buddy of mine drives a VW Gti and his alternator is dead.......it looks easy as hell to get off but the belt tensioner looks a little complicated...i did some research and everything that comes up is for a vr6 tensioner which requires you to use a m8x1.25 bolt to move the tensioner....i dont see any spot on his tensioner where you would thread a bolt...on the other forum they had pics which look nothing like his belt tensioner....i also read up on some stuff and it said that some late model vw's and audi's need a special tool to mess with the tensioner.....any help?
Old 07-03-2007, 02:57 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: VW belt tensioner

yeah, its called a wrench. there is a set of flats on the tensioner arm that a wrench fits over, or if its the earlier version of the AEG it has a round steel arm that goes through to the backside of the bracket, which works the same way, but you have to come off the nut on the pulley.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:04 AM
I wupped Batmans ass

euro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to all

So does your friends GTI have a VR6? 1.8T? or 2.0?
Old 07-03-2007, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

S14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond reputeS14Civic has a reputation beyond repute

1.8t
Old 07-03-2007, 08:30 AM
I wupped Batmans ass

euro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to all

Just use a 16mm wrench and pull towards the front of the car to relieve tension. There are 2 little holes that will line up, either pop a nail or an allen key in there to hold the tensioner in place. Then you can pop the belt right off. Before you pop it off, make note of how it's sitting so you can put the new one on correctly.