Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

VSS or is it something else?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGSlug EGSlug EGSlug
Default VSS or is it something else?

00 Teg
Throwing codes: P1337 & P1336

Online it says:
P1336: Engine Speed (RPM) Fluctuation Sensor Intermitten/Interruption
P1337: Engine Speed (RPM) Fluctuation Sensor No Signal

My scan tool said: Ignition/Misfire

If you search online with people who have the same problem: They say Its the crankshaft sensor OR they say its a sensor inside the dizzy...

Anyone know for sure which one it is?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

EGSlug EGSlug EGSlug
Default Re: VSS or is it something else?

BTW..I know its not the VSS..I had that on my mind from my other car i was working on today
Old 07-15-2011, 05:02 AM
Registered Member

xeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond reputexeno has a reputation beyond repute

Is your r.p.m gauge working normally?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I can clear this up. The crank position sensor is inside the distributor. The crank fluctuation sensor (CKF) is not in the distributor. The ECU does some comparisons of the two sensors and determines crank acceleration and some other things as part of the engine management strategy. The engine position is done with the sensor in the distributor, and the CKF is used for extra strategies for emissions and starting (many JDM engines don't use a CKF at all).

Anyway, because the codes specifically say that it is not getting a signal from the crank fluctuation sensor, I would assume that the problem is the crank fluctuation sensor. There are some other misfire conditions that could be caused by either one of the sensors (because the sensors are compared) but this seems to be a very clear case of the ECU not detecting a signal from the fluctuation sensor. This could be caused by a faulty sensor or failed/fatigued wiring. Or, if you've swapped in a JDM engine without the CKF and are using a USDM ECU that uses a CKF, that is obviously a problem.

I guess to answer your question: No, I don't think the Vss has anything to do with the problem at all. The Vss is for vehicle speed (obviously), not engine speed.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-15-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

EGSlug EGSlug EGSlug

Its been awhile since ive fixed this issue, But for anyone in the future who searches this, Check your wiring. There are two wires that im assuming came from the Crank sensor that are located dangerously close to the drivebelt. In my situation, the clip that is used to hold them was completely gone. Leaving the wires to rest against the drivebelt, Of course over time it wore through the insulation leaving the wires exposed. The two bare wires would touch, and boom, the ecu and CEL goes nuts. So do yourself a favor and check those two wires first (located near alt,drivebelt etc) before tearing anything apart.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Again, it's the crank fluctuation sensor, not the crank sensor.