Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Using butane torch on timing case

Old 11-02-2003, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondazccivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using butane torch on timing case

Hey, my timing case is messed up so i am going to get a new one and replace my timing belt, I can not get the bolt off from the crank pulley so if I use a butane torch to burn off the casing under the pulley and stuff, will anything happen?
Old 11-02-2003, 08:39 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

Try again. This makes no sense to me right now. Also makes no sense that you spelled "Ontario" wrong, but we'll stick with the problem at hand.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Default hey

Hey, kinda behind the crank pulley there is a plastic covering, that covers the gear for the crank that the timing belt goes on. I want to burn holes into the plastic covering and eventually getting it off. Anybody know if this is ok to do?
Old 11-02-2003, 04:02 PM

PoisonSVT is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do you want to burn the cover off? That would be dumb and a waste of time. to get the bolt off of the crank pulley use an impact and than once the bolt is off hit the crank pulley with a dead blow hammer (Or whatever you have just be careful not to destroy the pulley) and it should come right off making it easy to take the cover off.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Lost Cat Magnet

drifterJERRY is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, so i punched all the figures in to my calculator and came up with this..................WTF!!!

you would you want to burn off the cover??? to get to the timing belt without taking off the crank pulley?!?! jesus and i thought some of the shit i've done was crazy.

or was the torch gonna heat the crank bolt up and loosen it.........that still makes no sense to me.

sorry to disonyou, but damn.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:38 PM
In Hoc Signo Vinces

I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang I4Stang

heat makes things expand, if anything it'll make it harder to release
Old 11-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Default hey

It's nothing to do with the nut it'self, I want to burn the plastic parts of the timing case to I can put a new timing belt on.
-Aaron-
Old 11-03-2003, 12:53 PM

a92civicxjdmb16 is an unknown quantity at this point

SERIOUSLY man take that shyt to someone who is familiar cause u dont know wtf your doing, taking off the timing belt cover is one of the steps to change the timing belt, u still have to take the harmonic balancer off to replace the belt
Old 11-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Travis is an unknown quantity at this point

Not that I encourage anything you have said in this post so far, but...you should be able just rip that plastic coever off...Just eat your wheaties and give it hell...You really should seek professional help at this point though....
Old 11-03-2003, 04:38 PM
fabricated reality

kawgomoo can only hope to improve

dude... bad idea. if you get that pulley hot it'll fall apart. for reasons im not even going to get into. much less the timing belt is behind that plastic cover. yull destroy that with said torch as well. much less without removing the pulley and the bolt {that u cant get out} u cannot replace the timing belt or the plastic cover you are attempting to destroy.

fire = bad idea. get an impact gun with alot of balls and remove that crank pulley bolt. otherwise have a friend holding the brakes while the car is in gear {not running} put a "breaker bar" on the crank bolt and wrench it loose. i usually use a leg to push on the break bar with.. cause legs are a dickload stronger than ur puny arms.

uhh hope this shed some light...... god help us all.

Quick Reply: Using butane torch on timing case