Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Type R tranny differential

Old 01-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolguycar has disabled reputation
Default Type R tranny differential

Ok so this is the deal im buying a Type R tranny for 200 and it needs a new differential and i dont know how much it would cost to replace the differential so im wondering if it would be worthe it to buy it and rebuild it or if i should not waste my time. any help would be great thanks.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Type R tranny differential

Well, assuming that the rest of the tranny (other than the diff) is in good shape, I'd put an aftermarket limited slip diff in it. The stock units aren't that great, and can't couple very much power over stock. Aftermarket units are fairly expensive, so depending on what your plans are and what is wrong with the stock diff, this may or may not be an option.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:36 PM
for alarms/rmt-strts

EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation

pm RPRACING on here , his name is francisco and i believe he charges 200 to install differentials but you would have to ask him to be sure, so 200 for the tranny, 200 for labor and about 350-1000 for an aftermarket lsd it just really depends on what your goal is with your build like fabrik8 said. but the minimal you will spend is about 750, unless you find a used lsd, and its like fab said something else may be wrong with the tranny.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

well i know the guy who has it and i know nothing was wrong with it but he said that the car just wouldnt go into gear anymore and before it happened jon at hybrid said that he thought maybe the bearing was going bad in the differential. i am going to PM that guy though thanks.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

That's probably a shift fork or synchro problem. What bearing in the diff he's talking about I can't figure out, There are only support/thrust bearings on either side I think.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

yea im not sure, i dont know much bout transmissions so he could have been explaining it differnetly and i misheard it or something.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:09 AM
i <3 haters..xoxo

frk_concepts has disabled reputation

pm'd
Old 01-04-2008, 03:24 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Well, assuming that the rest of the tranny (other than the diff) is in good shape, I'd put an aftermarket limited slip diff in it. The stock units aren't that great, and can't couple very much power over stock. Aftermarket units are fairly expensive, so depending on what your plans are and what is wrong with the stock diff, this may or may not be an option.
I know plenty of street and track cars on factory diffs making well over 400 whp.

Quaifes are about 800 shipped. Break it, bring it back to them. Get another one.

I love my Kaaz though.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

QUICKVIII has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by coolguycar
well i know the guy who has it and i know nothing was wrong with it but he said that the car just wouldnt go into gear anymore and before it happened jon at hybrid said that he thought maybe the bearing was going bad in the differential. i am going to PM that guy though thanks.
Bad bearing in the diff has nothing to do with it not going into gear. Could be several things. Give us more details and I will try to help. That or PM me and I will get you on the phone. I have alot of questions that will narrow the problem down.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by Jarrod
I know plenty of street and track cars on factory diffs making well over 400 whp.

Quaifes are about 800 shipped. Break it, bring it back to them. Get another one.

I love my Kaaz though.
Just because the diffs aren't breaking doesn't mean they're doing their job properly...

Quick Reply: Type R tranny differential