Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

TYPE R PROBLEM HONDA/ACURA PEOPLE HELP MEEEEEEEEE !!!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
godzilla has disabled reputation
Default TYPE R PROBLEM HONDA/ACURA PEOPLE HELP MEEEEEEEEE !!!!!

so i started up my dc2 type r the other day and its been about 3 4 months since ive driven it. and for some reason when a put my foot on the gas pedal something didnt seem right. so i tried to floor it and the engine made a really weird sound like AIRFLOW was coming out of somewhere. i could still hit vtec and the car still drives good. the only problem is that i can only push down the gas pedal to a certain point and if i push it further then this point the car wont PUSH like its SUPPOSED TO. the engine just makes the weird sound like air is getting out somewhere its not supposed to..

Last edited by godzilla; 08-21-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:41 AM
War kittens?

odu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these partsodu_integra is infamous around these parts
Default Re: TYPE R PROBLEM HONDA/ACURA PEOPLE HELP MEEEEEEEEE !!!!!

You've been on this site since 07 and you still don't know where to post?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Originally Posted by odu_integra
You've been on this site since 07 and you still don't know where to post?
He has 2 posts, go figure.

However, do you hear any hissing sounds?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You might just need some fresh gas. The ECU might be cutting ignition timing or fuel if it's detecting an air/fuel problem or some sort of combustion problem like detonation. If the gas is separated or has some other breakdown problem, combustion isn't quite as good, and the ECU can detect that.
I don't know about the "airflow" sound, but that might be intake noise that is always there but usually isn't heard because the engine is louder. If you have an engine problem the intake noise might not be getting drowned out basically.

You could do these things to start with:
1) Remove the gas, or just run the tank down with normal driving, then get fresh gas
2) Put some fuel stabilizer in the tank (before you run the tank down to empty or add fresh gas)
3) Reset the ECU (good idea every once in a while to get back to baseline)
4) Change the fuel filter after the old gas has been run through (always a good idea, they're cheap and its probably been a while since its been changed anyway)
5) Run some injector cleaner through after you change the fuel filter and fill the tank up

If those things don't work, then you can start troubleshooting. Chances are there is something different now (like the gas) than the last time you drove it. Sensors don't usually fail from disuse, and the engine should be perfectly fine just sitting as long as there is oil in it. You may have a dryrotted or cracked vacuum hose too, but that would have happened whether the car was sitting or not. Hoses won't age any faster when they aren't being used and temperature cycled.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-20-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Ohhh Snap

madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You might just need some fresh gas. .

Sounds about right,not much damage can be caused from it just sitting,except like he said fuel contaimination.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I forgot to explain something: When gas goes stale, the octane goes down dramatically, so (if the gas is bad) you may have knock problems. That's why the ECU would cut timing, based on the knock sensor readings. This is the same reason that you can get more power out of higher octane gas (with no additional tuning) with a knock sensor equipped engine. The ECU will advance timing, and the higher octane can support it, and the ECU will adjust timing until it detects a problem. When you go back to lower octane, you lose power because the ECU will detect that timing can't be advanced as far before problems are detected.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Representin TeamDOHC

SickEJ1 has disabled reputation

is it catless? does it still have stock air box or aftermarket?
Old 08-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

spitzbergen has disabled reputation

Bad gas! Next time use some fuel stabilizer.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:13 PM
#Trendy

Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio

Drive your caR likes its sposed to be driven and you wont have this issue after letting it sit so long

but I would have to say fuel
Old 08-20-2008, 05:16 PM
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

Originally Posted by Audio
Drive your caR likes its sposed to be driven and you wont have this issue after letting it sit so long

Quick Reply: TYPE R PROBLEM HONDA/ACURA PEOPLE HELP MEEEEEEEEE !!!!!