Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Turboing a Car Questions

Old 12-07-2004, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98EclipseRS has disabled reputation
Default Turboing a Car Questions

Hey, i've never been big on turbos, but i really need more power for my Eclipse. It has a 420A motor, and i've been offered a turbo kit taht came out of a 1st gen eclipse. it has a 2nd gen. eclipse turbo mani., 16g turbo, gutted downpipe, oil return line, and road race engineering oil feed line, and the full stock intercooler. he said that the manifold will bolt right on, and all i would need to do is get the oil pan tapped to hook up the oil feed lines. Does this sound right? I've never installed a turbo or have had a turbo set up before. any help would be really appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:28 PM
21-PSI

1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Turboing a Car Questions

Just sell the 420A and drop in a 4G63, that would be better.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:57 PM

1sikcvc has disabled reputation

to answer your question: which no one seems to do around here very well. yeah it sounds about right. yes you will have to tap the oil pan and use a brass t. you can get one at like napa or anywhere but not advanced or autozone. just go to napa. anyways... if the turbo is bolted up on the manifold then you're good but if the turbo is not and doesn't look like it'll fit, then you need an adapter plate which you can get a machine shop to do you one for i don't know but probably about 100 bucks. maybe less. there is a couple of websites you can go to learn about turbos but i only know the honda ones like turbod16.com and things of that nature. if the kit is free then take it but depending on how much you're paying for it you may want to be a bit cautious if you've never done a turbo before. you should also get a good bov(blow off valve) and change out some of your fuel items- fuel rail, fuel injectors, and possibly your fuel pump. sometimes the pump isn't needed though. also make sure the intercooler comes with piping. if not there is a few people up here with some piping for your car for the fmic(front mount intercooler) but definently get some other advice before you attempt. very important.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:45 AM
visuallyinklined.com

sebassttiann is a jewel in the roughsebassttiann is a jewel in the roughsebassttiann is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 1fastGS
Just sell the 420A and drop in a 4G63, that would be better.
to my knowledge the 4g63 is not a direct bolt in for the 2g eclipse. i have heard its quite labor intensive and expensive. correct me if im wrong....

and back to main thread if the manifold came off a 1g eclipse 4g63 motor then it shouldn;t directly bolt on to a 420A motor. they are completely two different motors. but who am i ? once again if anyone has seen this then correct me.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:53 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

Originally Posted by sebassttiann
to my knowledge the 4g63 is not a direct bolt in for the 2g eclipse. i have heard its quite labor intensive and expensive. correct me if im wrong.....
I would hope not, considering the 2nd gen 4G63 is one of the most propular platforms to build a car off these days... (GS-t, GSX)

As for 1sikcvc or whatever....why only NAPA? I'm just curious what in the world all that "not Autozon or Advance" shit was all about.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:25 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

for the topic at hand....you can turbo that engine, but i do not reccomend it without massive planning/research/money.

that turbo kit will not work, you will need another exh. manifold (bolt patterns are different) downpipe (offset is different) IC piping (TB is on different side) and oil feed line (no tap on the head like the 4g63.

you can do it, but you will need alot of parts. not to mention you will need some form of management (or some way to add fuel for the additional air) which is where you will run into problems, since that car has a returnless setup. you will need a full return setup to be able to increase pressure (you can increase your IDC to get some more fuel, but there is a limit as to what you can do with that) not to mention that ignition system is a bitch to fool.

Originally Posted by MerF

As for 1sikcvc or whatever....why only NAPA? I'm just curious what in the world all that "not Autozon or Advance" shit was all about.
i guess teh brass fittings advance and autozon have are different then the ones NAPA sells

Originally Posted by sebassttiann
to my knowledge the 4g63 is not a direct bolt in for the 2g eclipse. i have heard its quite labor intensive and expensive. correct me if im wrong....

you are correct sir. the 420A is a chrysler engine/tranny combo, the engine is on the RS and tranny is on the LS. the 4g63 is opposite. and the wiring is different. so to do a swap, you need engine, tranny, mounts, throttle cable assembly (they run an incredibly complex and stupid setup) ECU, and harness. not to mention fuel pump and lines (the 420 has a returnless fuel system, compliments of dodge)

so no, its not easy. but it can be done.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:43 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

So a 2nd gen RS/GS and a 2nd gen GS-t/X are THAT different?? How stupid is that?
Old 12-08-2004, 04:57 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

its very. gotta love corporate merges.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:20 AM
visuallyinklined.com

sebassttiann is a jewel in the roughsebassttiann is a jewel in the roughsebassttiann is a jewel in the rough

yeah i thought so. alot of people think the 2g's are hondas or like the 1g in which a NA can be swapped out for a turbo motor quite easily. should have done my research before i bought a 2g GS (insert sad yellow face)
Old 12-08-2004, 10:41 AM

98EclipseRS has disabled reputation

thanks everyone for the help, the intercooler does have the piping, and the manifold is from a 2nd gen eclipse, so i think it will fit. thanks for eveyrone that helped, and if you have more info, feel free to keep postin it, cuz i won't be making the buy until prolly atleast a week.

Quick Reply: Turboing a Car Questions