Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Turbo Seal

Old 11-27-2006, 07:26 AM
Ayo Smokey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Razmus will become famous soon enoughRazmus will become famous soon enough
Default Turbo Seal

I have a Turbonetics turbo that the front seal has gone bad. does anyone know how i could replace it for cheap? i took the front part of the shell off so all i see now is the turbine and the seal all around it. could i just take the turbine off and replace it or what should i do? any help is appriciated.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Turbo Seal

Are you talking about the turbine side or the compressor side? You say turbine but it sounds like you are talking about he compressor side..

both can be replaced
Old 11-27-2006, 09:23 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

If you replace either side, you might as well replace both. Search a company called Majestic Turbo. They should have kit.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:28 AM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

You can buy individual pieces if you like. No reason spending $90+ on a rebuild kit if you don't need all of it.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:33 AM
Ayo Smokey!

i was planing on doing it myslef but the turbo has to be balanced if you take it all the way apart.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:58 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by Razmus
i was planing on doing it myslef but the turbo has to be balanced if you take it all the way apart.
Take it to a diesel shop, somewhere that works on tractor trailors, I can almost guarentee they have a turbo guy. My buddy works at one and got the dude to rebuild mine for me. The guy had the correct seals too... 20 bucks well spent and I have about 5,000 miles on it since the rebuild. (and no I'm not easy on it.)
Old 11-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Ayo Smokey!

sweeeeeeeet. where is he at? or was it just a friendly favor?
Old 11-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Registered member

You do not have to have it balanced, 99% of garrett turbos that I have seen have been balanced seperately, aka the turbine shaft and the compressor wheel balanced individually. This, obviously, does not warrant balancing. A few, apparently, are balanced together..

" One way was to balance the turbine wheel and shaft and the compressor wheel as a single unit. The other way was to balance the turbine wheel and shaft the compressor wheel individually. You can tell how the balancing was done by the shape/appearance of the COMPRESSOR nut. If the nut appears to be ground down then the turbine wheel and shaft and the compressor wheel (and nut) were balanced together. If the nut is not ground down then the wheels were done individually. If the wheels were done individually then it is not absolutely necessary to mark them and get them in the same location as they were prior to removal. In the case of the "ground down nut" turbo, it is a good idea to keep the wheels lined up in their original positions."