Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Turbo ?'s

Old 10-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Crack KIlls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HB PiMPiN has disabled reputation
Default Turbo ?'s

im thinking of buying a T3 garret turbo(saab) off a friend, but the turbo has a little shaft play and looks like its had lots of use.i have no idea how long its been used, all i know is my friend got it from dice auto and recently decided to not go turbo. i was wondering if anyone knew about any rebuild kits and where i could get them from or any places i could take it to.

i dont hear to many people recommending d series turbo, is there any specific reason or is it just a preference thing. how much boost could you run on stock internals? jus gettin info before jump in the water head first. constructive criticism is always welcome.

Last edited by HB PiMPiN; 10-27-2004 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:27 AM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo
Default Re: Turbo ?'s

There are several companies that will rebuild the turbo. www.deadboltspeed.com, www.forcedperformance.com and others. As for turbocharging a D series, I have seen it done. I believe Edelbrock makes a complete kit for that engine. I don't recommend running more than 6 psi on stock internals though.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:13 AM
Registered Member

StreetRacer69 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Cosmo
There are several companies that will rebuild the turbo. www.deadboltspeed.com, www.forcedperformance.com and others. As for turbocharging a D series, I have seen it done. I believe Edelbrock makes a complete kit for that engine. I don't recommend running more than 6 psi on stock internals though.
It will cost almost as much to rebuilt a turbo like that as it would to buy a new one. D-Series have thin ass rods will break with much less HP than a B-series. The edelbrock kit comes with a t-25 or 28 (can't remember right now) and is pretty expensive compaired to the greddy kit which which you can find for under $1000 used, but with these small turbos you can run alittle more boost such as 10-12psi compared to a t3 and will the smaller turbos will spool twice as quick with these small ass engines like this. Unless you plan on rebuilding the internals I'd say go with the greddy kit.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:50 AM
Registered Member

"SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam

I have the perfect turbo for your D series. It's posted in the parts for sale section TD04
Old 10-28-2004, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

robber_ts1 has disabled reputation

Last edited by robber_ts1; 04-18-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:00 AM
Crack KIlls

HB PiMPiN has disabled reputation

what are the pros and cons of running a custom turbo setup. if i do a custom setup what parts are a must, because i have heard that its not necessary to have a intercooler. basically i want so prevent detonation as much as possible. will there be problems since my motor is carburated and is there any local shops i could take it to get it rebuilt?

what kind of hp gains would i be lookin at in a TD04

Last edited by HB PiMPiN; 10-28-2004 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Japanese Disease

NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX

Originally Posted by HB PiMPiN
what are the pros and cons of running a custom turbo setup. if i do a custom setup what parts are a must, because i have heard that its not necessary to have a intercooler. basically i want so prevent detonation as much as possible. will there be problems since my motor is carburated and is there any local shops i could take it to get it rebuilt?
it's not necessary at all to have an intercooler. But with the intercooler the compressed air is drastically cooler, so your having more dense air and keeping internal/combustion temps down. I wouldn't suggest a custom set up because 99% of the time you will run into problems(this also applies to used parts). Go with a kit that is specifically designed for your cars specifications. A friend of mien tried to buy a used kit and ended up spending hundreds more fixing all the problems that he would have spent on a brand new kit.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Japanese Disease

NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX

Originally Posted by HB PiMPiN
what kind of hp gains would i be lookin at in a TD04
TDO4's aren't too bad on a stock D16. You will max the turbo out at around 16-18 PSI(they are the turbo's that come stock on a WRX). It is definately power that you will feel as opposed to stock
Old 10-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

"SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam

My TD04 turbo was pretty nasty. I was pushin 11psi and hittin full boost at 2500rpms. The car got stolen before I could get it dynoed but she was definatley pretty quick.