Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

turbo ?'s

Old 07-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CHIKNtoe2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation turbo ?'s

i got a 97 civic...its got the y8 in it and im goin turbo this summer.....i kno that the low compression y8 is good for low boost and all that good stuff but what about the exhaust system....? the one im buying is complete and comes with the mani's and everyting...when i bolt the turbo manifold on the block is that all the exhaust i need and i can use the stock exhaust system from there or what....i understand everything else except that....im a lil confused??? can u help me out???
Old 07-01-2004, 05:29 PM
I <3 BOOST

Iceman05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: turbo ?'s

ur gonna need a downpipe, other than that and the mani, stock exhaust works (but VERY restrictive)
Old 07-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Quit your Bitchin...

diggum has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by CHIKNtoe2002
i got a 97 civic...its got the y8 in it and im goin turbo this summer.....i kno that the low compression y8 is good for low boost and all that good stuff but what about the exhaust system....? the one im buying is complete and comes with the mani's and everyting...when i bolt the turbo manifold on the block is that all the exhaust i need and i can use the stock exhaust system from there or what....i understand everything else except that....im a lil confused??? can u help me out???
No...you need a aftermarket 3" downpipe for the turbo, then run 3 inch all the way back with no muffler...and run a open dump tube
The only thing that restricts a turbo is the exhaust. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:53 AM
200HP/L

Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi

Originally Posted by diggum
The only thing that restricts a turbo is the exhaust. Good luck.
Can I clamp a hose with no opening over your compressor inlet?
Old 07-02-2004, 09:07 AM

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma

Originally Posted by Josepi
Can I clamp a hose with no opening over your compressor inlet?
That was seriously the ghey-est thing ever.

If you want to boost a SOHC.. you will need some fuel mods also (RRFPR, FMU, all depends on what set-up). If you are buying a kit from a manufacturer you are over paying.. unless you can't figure it out on your own, then you are doing the right thing. I would go with a good high RPM turbo for a Honda motor.. and eventually get some head work to flow that air and handle the pressure (cams, valve work, port/polish). You could get a open-dump tube.. but your motor will look like shit after all the rich exhaust sprays everywhere. Get the CFM flow for the turbo you are looking at and get some advice from someone who has used it and let them give you some ideas on exhaust size. You don't always need 3". You could actually make your own exhaust and save alot there too. Well.. uh if you have any more ?'s hit me back.