Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

turbo question for toyota pickup

Old 12-11-2003, 08:47 AM
F the D16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IllIl II l IIlI is a jewel in the roughIllIl II l IIlI is a jewel in the roughIllIl II l IIlI is a jewel in the roughIllIl II l IIlI is a jewel in the roughIllIl II l IIlI is a jewel in the rough
Default turbo question for toyota pickup

ok, my friend has a 88 toyota pickup and he wants to install a turbo. should he install the 22R turboed motor or just go with a regular turbo and all the things you need for it? he just rebuilt the motor so i doubt he wants to get the whole motor but if theres any sites or places around the 757 he could go that be helpfull. thanx
Old 12-11-2003, 10:59 AM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

you talking about andrew? hopefully he built the motor up with forged, low-compression components so he doesnt blow a fresh motor. he needs to find a turbo manifold to fit the motor's head, a suitable turbo, some oil lines, a wastegate if the manifold/turbo is setup for an external wastegate, he'll probably want a blow-off valve and intercooler, and he'll probably have to fab up some intercooler piping and the downpipe setup.

i dont know what the 22R turbo motor is but id go with a motor that is built to be boosted. tell him i said whats up
Old 12-11-2003, 01:52 PM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

go with the 22RTE. you'll want the harness, instrument cluster, ecu, and afm also. i think you may also need part of the exhaust (downpipe to cat). i can't remember...it's been awhile since i did this swap. you may want to upgrade brakes.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:01 PM
RIP Chris Schader

g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x

my friend has the 22rte in his toyota pickup, definately badass!
Old 12-11-2003, 03:54 PM
F the D16

IllIl II l IIlI is a jewel in the roughIllIl II l IIlI is a jewel in the roughIllIl II l IIlI is a jewel in the roughIllIl II l IIlI is a jewel in the roughIllIl II l IIlI is a jewel in the rough

"go with the 22RTE. you'll want the harness, instrument cluster, ecu, and afm also. i think you may also need part of the exhaust (downpipe to cat). i can't remember...it's been awhile since i did this swap. you may want to upgrade brakes."

he already knows about the 22RTE motor but he just re-built the whole motor and he doesent really wanna blow the $ he put into the engine as it is. is there any websites or places he could go and order the motor(if he wants it) for cheap? and another question, how worthit is the 22RTE? like performance wise
Old 12-11-2003, 04:45 PM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

it's already set-up for boost. need more?? yeah, if he built an engine as an NA, he'd be risking rebuild if he boosted t. maybe he cansell the other engine and start with the 22RTE.
what is he trying to do with it, set 1/4 mile records? then, i dunno cause i don't drag. it's pretty strong and in a lightweight truck, it does well. the CT20 is designed for quick spool that equates to good towing powerband. it gets out of its own way.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:09 PM

PoisonSVT is an unknown quantity at this point

He should have done it right the first time and got the 22RTE
Old 12-12-2003, 08:14 AM
F the D16

well the truck is already pretty fast as it is but he just wants more. i dont think he knew how much the stuff to rebuild the engine would accualy cost. how much would the 22RTE cost?
Old 12-13-2003, 04:24 AM
brake/steer/throttle

i dunno about cost. if he's happy with the truck as is, he should keep it like it is. as a matter of fact, there's a 20R head in u-wrench it which will be a definate upgrade for his 22R. the 20R head flows better than the 22R, but the 22R block is definately worth the displacement. y'all should jump on it!
Old 12-13-2003, 08:17 AM
F the D16

yea i just talked to him bout that, he might just go to one of his friends and get his head bored out again er somehtin and get diffrent cams

Quick Reply: turbo question for toyota pickup