Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Tuning question

Old 12-04-2007, 04:52 PM
2000 SI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad4life2000 Bad4life2000 Bad4life2000 Bad4life2000
Default Tuning question

I have a 2000 Si b16a2 and i will be putting my turbo system on i wanted to know can the P2T ecu be tuned on chrome. I will be running 440cc injectors. If not could i use a AFC controller like hks or apexi to make sure the air fuel ratio is correct for when i am in boost. Thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tuning question

Originally Posted by Bad4life2000
I have a 2000 Si b16a2 and i will be putting my turbo system on i wanted to know can the P2T ecu be tuned on chrome. I will be running 440cc injectors. If not could i use a AFC controller like hks or apexi to make sure the air fuel ratio is correct for when i am in boost. Thanks
CROME is basically for OBD1 computers. That being said, OBD1 computers aren't hard to come by, and Boomslang makes some fine OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harnesses. OBD1 computers can be chipped easily, and inexpensively, and CROME is about $150.

If you check out tunewithcrome.com you'll find a list of the various costs with different methods of tuning.

For simplicity, a Hondata system may very well be your best bet. It costs a little more, but tuners are easy to find, and not super-expensive. It's less a DIY item, and more a commercial piece for aftermarket guys. It's sure cheaper than blowing up your motor because you're not familiar with what you're doing. And that's very easy to do with a turbo.

It also should prove superior to any piggyback system out there, and an AEM EMS will run around $2,000, and require mad skills! (I know just about enough to get one running, and then fine tune it from there until it's right, but time and $$$$$)

So....
Old 12-04-2007, 05:27 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

As mentioned, Crome runs on OBD1 ECU's. P2T is an OBD2b ECU. To elaborate and reemphasize what is said above, convert to OBD1. Get an OBD1 VTEC ECU chipped and socketed. Look for either P28 OBD1 or P72 OBD1. It doesnt matter if it came from an automatic car... once the new chip is installed, that will no longer apply....

Do not use a VAFC or any even GReddy E-manage... they really dont work well with boost.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thermal
As mentioned, Crome runs on OBD1 ECU's. P2T is an OBD2b ECU. To elaborate and reemphasize what is said above, convert to OBD1. Get an OBD1 VTEC ECU chipped and socketed. Look for either P28 OBD1 or P72 OBD1. It doesnt matter if it came from an automatic car... once the new chip is installed, that will no longer apply....

Do not use a VAFC or any even GReddy E-manage... they really dont work well with boost.
That is because they alter the map signal to fool the computer, which, in addition to pulling fuel (you run slightly oversize injectors if you wish to try that method) also causes the computer to act as though it's under less load, and increases timing, which, as stated, can be very bad, if not fatal, for many turbo builds.

Am I correct in that assumption, even if a little basic?
Old 12-04-2007, 05:43 PM
2000 SI

Bad4life2000 Bad4life2000 Bad4life2000 Bad4life2000

Thanks for the input guess i am going with chrome thanks!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Slowest HRC Member

Originally Posted by Bad4life2000
Thanks for the input guess i am going with chrome thanks!!!
You may wait until Fabrik finds this. He does ECU for a living, in ways most anyone else here could only dream about. He can likely provide better information, but is likely to give the same conclusion. Still, it may be worth checking back once he does find it!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:24 PM
turbo on 2 wheels

Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern

im looking to get an ecu also chipped with crome but its for an h23? do you think he can help me out with that?!?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Slowest HRC Member

Originally Posted by Vern
im looking to get an ecu also chipped with crome but its for an h23? do you think he can help me out with that?!?
From what little I recall from pgmfi.org the P28 works for most anything. If it's non-vtec (or even if it is) a P75 can be chipped to work. not sure on the harness part for that application. But the CROME site leads you to pgmfi, and there's a wealth of information for the basic to the most advanced user over there.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:29 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

Originally Posted by HondaRules!
That is because they alter the map signal to fool the computer, which, in addition to pulling fuel (you run slightly oversize injectors if you wish to try that method) also causes the computer to act as though it's under less load, and increases timing, which, as stated, can be very bad, if not fatal, for many turbo builds.

Am I correct in that assumption, even if a little basic?
Correct.