Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

tranny blew at 59k

Old 11-28-2005, 05:44 PM
squeegee my fiji

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
†Specter† †Specter† †Specter†
Default tranny blew at 59k

car
2001 civic ex
58xxx miles

well, my cars been making a whinning noise for the past 2ooo miles. never thought any thing of it. i checked my tranny fluid, level was good. belts were all tight, my cv boots were all sealed with no leaks. well after a 250mile drive back home last tuesday, noise got worse. i told my parents took it to honda yesterday, after ruling that it wasnt safe to drive back to greensboro ,and the verdict came today:

bad news
input shaft bearing is gone.
tranny fluid almost all gone

cost:
$2000

any explainations as to why this coulda happened so damn early, i havent even rolled over 59000 miles.
i dont drive the car hard, and ive had it since 22000 miles. only minor mods, i/h/e, short shift, lowered, etc
Old 11-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of
Default Re: tranny blew at 59k

Is it automatic?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Do you have any problems with clutch engagement or anything like that? Is it the stock clutch and flywheel?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO

some one put the clutch in wrong? maybe?

my tranny was doing the exact same thing...

it might be better to see if anyone on here has a tranny for sale for your car.?

but my input shaft bearing was bad which was causing me to go through clutches like every 2-3 months..an di didnt realize it until my tranny finally gave out and left me stranded on the james river bridge at 2 am
Old 11-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

A input shaft bearing is about $80 bucks and takes about 30 minutes to actually crack the tranny, install it, and seal the tranny back together. Don't let them ass rape you that bad. These things happen, but give you plenty of signs that something is wrong ( noise, vibration) and usually don't give out for awhile. I had to put one in a GSR tranny with 40,000 miles on it. It's man made.

Check around and E-Bay for another tranny.

Last edited by The real Ryan; 11-28-2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:03 PM
squeegee my fiji

yes its a 5 speed

stock clutch.and ive never had problems putting tghe car in/out for gear. only mod to the transmission is the short shifter,and im certain that has no impact on the kinda damage my tranny recieved. cars shifter smoother actually since i installed it over a yr and a half ago

well heres the thing, i didnt actually get to speak to the mechanic, but i spoke to my dad on the fone (who is partially car-illiterate) and he said that a transmission bearing was gone, there was almost no tranny fluid left and that the tranny needed rebuilt.

im still awaiting for my dad to fax me the "damage" report.

Last edited by †Specter†; 11-28-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

Input shaft bearing went bad (caused it to "wobble")>> wore out the input shaft seal keeping the transmission fluid in>> Leaked out probably splashing your pressure plate and even your clutch disc.

Did you notice any odd noises while downshifting?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:17 PM
squeegee my fiji

Originally Posted by thebettersol
Input shaft bearing went bad (caused it to "wobble")>> wore out the input shaft seal keeping the transmission fluid in>> Leaked out probably splashing your pressure plate and even your clutch disc.

Did you notice any odd noises while downshifting?
yes, the noise was horrific...violent whinning.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:36 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The tranny is probably ok if it was still shifting fine before you took it to honda. Labor is what is going to cost you so much. I really doubt it needs a full rebuild. Just a Input Shaft seal and bearing, you are looking at $100. If you were closer I would help you out installing it. Sry to hear that man.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:09 AM

Gustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these parts

If the input bearing went bad, where are all of the little metal shavings? Probably in the synchros, and in some of the other bearings. You could probably get away with just the input bearing and seal. But when somone does it professionally, they are going to perform a rebuild to eliminate the chance of a come back. I recommend having it done properly. Dont do it half assed. It only leads to problems sooner than later.

Quick Reply: tranny blew at 59k