Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Traction Bar

Old 08-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bseely has disabled reputation
Default Traction Bar

I'm working on a 91 Civic DX and I'm dropping a B20z V. However, I'm wandering about the traction bar compatibility concerning the different make, model, and year of Honda or Acura to fit my 91 Civic.

P.S. I'm going to post a timeline of my build, illustrated, from start to finish.

Thanks for your help, Ben.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:20 PM
HNIC

Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker.
Default Re: Traction Bar

first.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:16 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Depends on what brand of traction bar and what engine mounts you're using. Compatibility is easy, just get a traction bar for a 88-91 Civic/CRX, I don't understand what you're actually asking....? Go do some compatibility research with the particular traction bar you're looking at...

Don't forget about the radiator, it sometimes gets in the way too. Might need a different radiator or some minor chassis clearancing with some of the brands of traction bar.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-14-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:46 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Fabrik8, the question was answered and Hasport mounts. What is a good traction-bar brand that isn't too expensive? Oh, I just did some research that any EF will fit.

The radiator is a quandary with the B20's Zilla's fatness, and hopefully the headers will clear the radiator.

Thanks, Ben

Last edited by bseely; 08-14-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I think Full Race sells one for that car and has a radiator available too. I don't think you'll have any more problem with the B20 than you will with any other B-series block...
Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed

I went with an innovative traction bar in my CRX. Fits great, not over priced like many, and looks great.
I made my own brackets(3 of them) to hold the radiator in place.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

pretty sure, possible, that i could leave the standard A frame (EF/CRX) and just use a b16 header.

Setup: b20z, 16 head, type r intake, and b16 header.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:44 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Pretty much any traction bar setup will probably gain you room since on an EF most replace the bulky stock lower front crossmember with a smaller tubular piece.Any of them should work with a B-series swap.Assuming you're not using a header that requires much more forward room than a stock manifold,you'll be fine with the stock radiator size and placement.At most you may need a slim fan.You do need to check into whatever traction bar you use though,just to make sure they work with a stock radiator and what location it mounts it in.

What will you be doing with the car?If it'll just be a street car you'll be fine with pretty much any of the available bars,assuming they're built well.If handling is a bigger priority make sure the traction bars have the proper geometry to prevent binding of the suspension as it travels.The front mounting/pivot point of the bars should be as close to the vertical and horizontal axis of the inner mounting points of the LCAs as possible.Of the various brands I've installed the Full Race seem to get closest to this,although they're not perfect either.I think they're probably close enough that the compliance of the LCA bushings will allow for the necesary deflection through the relatively small amount of suspension travel you'll actually use without causing too much bindage(is that a word?!).The Full Race are on the upper end of the cost scale,and I'm sure there are probably less expensive options that maintain the proper geometry;I'd suggest researching the RR/AX forum on Honda Tech to see what brand the EF roadrace guys are using.

Last edited by TNGChris; 08-21-2012 at 04:46 AM.