Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

TIRE EXPERIENCES/Comparisons

Old 01-02-2004, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default TIRE EXPERIENCES/Comparisons

I've run some Falken Azzennis tires for about 30,000 miles and i'm looking for something comparable. The only negatives I noticed after exactly a year and a half of use:

1.They get greasy after nearly 20 mins of hard use. I was at Lowes Motorspeedway and the last minutes of every session the car would begin to understeer heavily. I backed off for about a lap or two and grip came back. Being classified as an autocross tire i understand they may heat up quicker and overheat quicker.

1.Noise, damn these things are noisy.

with those two negatives heres the positives.

1. Insane grip. When i had the KA24DE all motor to the tune of 150rwhp and 155ftlbs i could put the car at 5500rpm and dump the clutch. The tires would scrub and launch the car like i had slicks on it. I couldnt get them to spin like other tires.

2. predictable break away. I could tell when traction would start to go away. They werent an on/off switch.

3. Tread life. The rears took a shit at 1 year and about 22,000miles. the fronts i'm still using with about 30,000 and they have 1/4 life left.

4. competitive grip. what i mean by this is the same car with a similar suspension setup on the same autox course was only 1 second quicker running Hoosier slicks. it was a 65 second course.

the only thing i dont like about them is the noise. I want to find something that offers all the great things they do with reduced noise. i'm looking into the Yokohama AVS ES100 and the Bridgestone RE750's. anyone use them that want to comment?

tire size is 245/45/17
Old 01-02-2004, 12:36 PM
wat

Sled has disabled reputation

sorry i dont have any comments on the es100's and re750's, but have you looked at the dunlop fm901's?
Old 01-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Speak&Spell Anyone?

Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell

to be honest i haven't found any that are better....... toyo proxess don't make any noise or anything but the down fall is the traction lost with those tires........ that is the best tire to run to be honest don't switch to anything else........ and damn they lasted a long time........ i put mine threw helll and they stayed new for ever.....good tires,don't change.... all i can say is turn the music up and deal with it there is no better
Old 01-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TIRE EXPERIENCES/Comparisons

Originally posted by Greaser
the only thing i dont like about them is the noise. I want to find something that offers all the great things they do with reduced noise. i'm looking into the Yokohama AVS ES100 and the Bridgestone RE750's. anyone use them that want to comment?

tire size is 245/45/17
Neither of those will do it for you. You only have one choice in a tire that is close to the same cost. Kuhmo MX's. If you shaved the MX's they would compete/beat the azenias at autocross stuff. Full tread the blocks are tall and they are a little squirmy. The mx's are quiet and do well in the rain. They do not like the sub 45F stuff and I don't think they will launch as well as the Azenia (just a guess). Other choices are the BFG KD's, I have owned the Bridgestone SO3's and the MX's. Put both on a roadcourse. THey are similiar in many ways. The bridgestones are better in the wet and the MX's are better in the dry.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by direb0y
sorry i dont have any comments on the es100's and re750's, but have you looked at the dunlop fm901's?

i have looked, but in testing by www.tirerack.com they were not competitive to other lower ranked tires.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

MX's vs the BFG KD series. they did quite well
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...tireMake=Kumho

Last edited by Greaser; 01-02-2004 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:45 PM
EEK
卐 Walnuts

EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK

i only got to try out the es100 for about 3000 miles before my car got jacked..i have the azenia's now..i like azenia's better.. on my hatch the es 100's where quiet loud but not as loud as the falkens.. but the grip cant compare to the falkens..but i found them to be a good daily driven tire
Old 01-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: TIRE EXPERIENCES/Comparisons

Originally posted by 98sr20ve
Neither of those will do it for you. You only have one choice in a tire that is close to the same cost. Kuhmo MX's. If you shaved the MX's they would compete/beat the azenias at autocross stuff. Full tread the blocks are tall and they are a little squirmy. The mx's are quiet and do well in the rain. They do not like the sub 45F stuff and I don't think they will launch as well as the Azenia (just a guess). Other choices are the BFG KD's, I have owned the Bridgestone SO3's and the MX's. Put both on a roadcourse. THey are similiar in many ways. The bridgestones are better in the wet and the MX's are better in the dry.

i also might drift with them. do they chunk? i've noticed the azzennis never chunk.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

Mx's would chunk at full tread. Mine came close to doing it on the front of my car at a roadcourse track event. Full tread is not good on these tires. Shaved I hear they are great.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

hmmm.....

my azzennis were great all the time. cept at 120degree track temps, 95 degree day.

funny i cant find a comparable tire at similar price point. i was gonna try those Nitto NT555RII autocross tires.

Quick Reply: TIRE EXPERIENCES/Comparisons