Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

timing belt

Old 11-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Reppin The DOHC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies
Default timing belt

hey guys i have a 98 civic ex. It has about 82,xxx miles on it. I have not changed the timing belt since i got the car, I was wondering should i replace it and should i also replace the water pump, and also if i do need to replace it could i do it myself with ordinary tools? thanks
Old 11-12-2006, 12:35 PM
been around awhile.

zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas
Default Re: timing belt

replacing the timing belt is a real bitch, I think that honda recommends a change at 80k.

I would not attempt to change it if you dont know what your doing. b/c if you do get it, and you set the timing wrong, your going to have to get a new engine.

water pump should be fine.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Reppin The DOHC

turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies

thanks for the help i guess i have to suck it up and take it to Honda how much u think its going to cost to replace?
Old 11-12-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm worse drugged

esohsee has disabled reputation

150 it's not so bad changing the belt... oculd do it in an hour or 2... water pump should be fine if it doesn't leak
Old 11-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Banned

89sihatch is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd replace the water pump while I was in there. It's fairly easy if you ask me.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:26 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

you damn sure will be paying more than 150 at a dealership.but thats usual price for people doing sidejobs if you buy the parts, if i remember right 90k is reccomended change for timing belt and water pump, while you are changing that you should change the crank seal, cam seals and cam end seal as well since its all right there, and if you havent already go ahead and get new valve cover gasket set and tube seals. if you dont know what your doing, dont do it cause youll never get the timing right and if you put the retaining rings on backwards or forget anything or dont tension the belt right your gonna fuck yourself. but if you are gonna do it, take your time, and pay attention. should only take 2 hours max if you dont run into any trouble like water pump bolts breaking.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Reppin The DOHC

thanks for help everyone, but i really don't want to take it to the dealership and i don't really want to do it myself if anyone wants to do it for me and they also know what they are doing then i can pay cash.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:39 PM
been around awhile.

zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas

I would suggest making sure you find someone who has the right tools to time a car, and to replace the belt if you go that route....

i know it seems like a bitch to take it to honda and pay them, but atleast if they put it on and something is wrong, yer not fucked when the car blows up.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:13 PM
93 EG Hatch

tempesthatch tempesthatch tempesthatch tempesthatch tempesthatch tempesthatch tempesthatch tempesthatch tempesthatch tempesthatch tempesthatch

pmed
Old 11-12-2006, 04:17 PM
JAY SPEC

00civichatch 00civichatch

I can do it. Give me a call at 757-285-0843 Jason

Quick Reply: timing belt