Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

thinkin about getting a civic

Old 09-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UgotOWNED is an unknown quantity at this point
Default thinkin about getting a civic

maybe a '93 or a '95. either are going to be coupes. what would be a suggestion as to swaps(good type of motor to put in that wont break my wallet, type of tranny) would yall recommend? ive been hearing about a "poor mans Type R". whats the deal with that?

i already have the suspension and exhaust planned. what about motors? ECUs?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL
Default Re: thinkin about getting a civic

A poor mans type-r, from personal experience, is twice as expensive and could be less reliable than just getting a real jdm type-r. I would just get the real deal. Between getting the compression down, the head done and the lsd tranny it's not worth it, unless your just building the whole thing to a n/a race motor, then i wouldnt even call it a poor man's R anyway.

It really comes down to how much money you want to spend, and what you want out of it. A b16 with a turbo is an option, a gsr tubo, or a type-r N/A.....or just buy a car where all the work has already been done.......LIKE MINE!
Old 09-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL

I didnt bring up k series because you mentioned not breaking the bank. there is always just a 00 ex swap and turbo option as well.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Illegal
I didnt bring up k series because you mentioned not breaking the bank. there is always just a 00 ex swap and turbo option as well.

the '00 EX swap has the B16 in it right? and i wouldnt do a K series swap because everyone seems to be doing it. it urks my nerve to see so many of them. lol. im coming to a close on my cb7 project so i figured id use the extra money on a civic that ive wanted for a while.

im sure i can sorce a B16 or B18(non-vtec) real quick and for cheap.

what would you think about an older integra? like the '93 integra? i like the body styles on those too. is it worth the effort?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Double Agent HT

The ex is the sohc. If you just get a DA, an older teg, and do a basic b16 b18 swap, then to me thats just a daily driver. It depends on what you want in the end and the budget. Do you want a beater, a daily, a drag car, road course, kinda fast, really fast, show? Just buy my car and get it over with!
Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Banned

lmao. sorry budddy. i doubt i have the money that your looking to get for that nice car. lol.

as far as the DA or civic? im not looking to make it something that looks so good that i end up have to keep it in the garage during the week or something that is too fast that its no longer fun to drive on the street(i had a couple of friends who drove 450whp+ and didnt even have traction thru the 1st 2 or 3 gears. no fun at all.).

(in either civic or teg)what about a B18(non-vtec or vtec) with Skunk2 lowering springs, cat-back exhaust, Injen short ram intake, DCsports headers and maybe a 50hp shot of nitrous? the nitrous for those crappy mustangs who think im just some other ricer.

and as far as tuning. i know to at least get the VAFC from APEXi(if i get a VTEC). what about getting the ECU tuned? who would it be best to go to? i keep hearing about Chrome, Hondata, or S200.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Double Agent HT

Sounds like a gsr with all the bolt ons and a hondata s100 would be good. Intake manifold, intake/header/ cat back/ engine mounts/ clutch and flywheel/ suspention/ good tires, the frame is whatever you like after that.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned

what tires, clutch and flywheel would you recommend?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Double Agent HT

clutchmaster, but anyone will tell you whatever they use, tires, it depends also on rim size, some are not offered in 15's.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Banned

im not sure weither to go with some ITRs stock or some aftermarket 16's or 17's. 17's i dont think would look all that great with a 2"-2 1/2" drop on a DA. a '93 or '95 Civic yeah.

ps- whats the chassi code to the civics anyway? "93 and '95

Quick Reply: thinkin about getting a civic