Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

tach problems

Old 12-21-2003, 11:36 AM
jon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tach problems

i just put a 2000 obd2 gsr motor into my 1994 obd1 integra gsr. Everything went smooth except my tach is not reading. I used the obd2 engine harness and connected it to the 0bd1 car harness. not everythng mathched up, but everyhting works except for the tach. I figured there might be an extra crank sensor and things from the 2000 that werent necessary in 94.

the tach icm is ok. anyone with any help out there? it would be greatly appreciated thanks- jon
Old 12-21-2003, 02:24 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

why did you use the obd2 harness, you only had to remove the crank angle sensor from the obd2 motor and an intake manifold sensor from the obd2 intake manifold(or just not even plug it in, or you could have swapped obd1 manifold onto the motor) for the obd1 harness to mount to everything, but i guess it doesnt really matter if your saying everything is working, but i used my 94 harness and just removed those two sensors, alot easier and no complications to deal with, with using an obd2 harness, you said everything else is working fine so i dont see how the tach would be affected unless the plugs have different resistances and output from having the extra 2 sensors but the face that its an obd2 harness in and obd1 car just doesnt seem like you should be using it, just double check, and if it still doesnt work, swap the obd1 harness back into the car, thats what i would do anyway........
Old 12-21-2003, 05:47 PM
jon

The motor came with the harness, that's why I used it. Most of the connectors matched up, except for two. The crank angle sensor is one of the sensors on the 2002 motor thats not connected (doesn't match up with the obd1 wiring harness). The other one not connected is the gas vapor recirc sensor (?), because it didn't match up either. Just can't figure out if there's another odd wire somewhere to make the tach work. I've thought about the tach unit in the dash, but don't know how to test that to see if it works. Blue wire seems to be the common thread for the tach. Maybe if I try hooking up a remote tach from inside the engine compartment (connector on driver's side, close to firewall)?

I've still got the obd1 harness, but the obd2 distributor and alternator don't match up with the obd1 harness.

Also, check engine light will come on if I rev up real high (don't know HOW high, no tach), but it clears when I shut it down and restart. Any one have any similar experience? Thanks. Jon.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:37 AM
jon

?