Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

T03....

Old 09-04-2003, 02:35 AM
Die reinste Bösen.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear
Question T03....

i finally got the turbo and manifold, its a T03 from a mopar.. long story short i read this site and it says that the turbo ran 12psi stock, heres the quote from the site "In 1986 (Shelby GLHS) Mopar introduced the 2.2 intercooled engine which used a modified TO3 Garrett turbo to supply 12 psi of boost. In 1988 the turbo's exhaust outlet was changed to a larger flange size and in 1989 it received the better flowing 2.5 inch exhaust outlet. The part number for the turbo's center section is the same as the TO3; the main differences is the compressor housings inlet and orientation, new wastegate can to match the new housing, a notch in the exhaust housing to clear the number three intake runner and lack of EGR port on the 87 and up applications. A/R ratios & wheel sizes remained unchanged."
via http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_turbo.html#1987

anywho, i was wondering if this information is correct? if so then ive figured i cant run that on stock internals, unless there is a way to ramp it down, if its not right, what psi does this badboy run?

any help is appreciated... my turbo is the one from 89, the best year, i know that because the picture (labelled 89) with the one piece matches the one on my turbo.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:22 AM
HAM

Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat

It all depends on the wastegate, not the turbo.
I'll give a brief run down of some basic wastegate information.
The "gold can" often associated with the internal wastegate setup is what's called the wastegate actuator. There is a spring in there which determines when the actuator will move the arm and open the wastegate. From your info, this spring is a 12psi spring. You change the spring, or to an actuator with a different spring, you change when the wastegate opens.
Did you understand taht last sentence?, because that's your answer.
If a dumbass tells you that you can turn it down with a boost controller, kick them in the nuts and never listen to anything they have to say ever again.
You can always run an external wastegate and solve everything, the downside being more money and more work.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:37 AM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

plus since your mani is welded to the turbo, getting a flange for an external wastegate would be a bitch and a half to get on there w/out switching manifolds. there are ways to get the actuator to actually open sooner. there are ghetto methods though...like bending the arm or extending it...
Old 09-04-2003, 10:07 AM
HAM

you can mount the external gate after the turbo too ya know
Old 09-04-2003, 11:46 AM
Die reinste Bösen.

yes heat i understood you, thank you... so all i have to do is change the spring, easy enough.. or so i think... it still blows my mind that such a small turbo is ran at such a high psi, but reading the article on that dodge site made me think, that is probably the highest the turbo was made to run efficiently, so thats what the engineers ran it at... dunno. still baffles me
Old 09-04-2003, 01:35 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

Originally posted by Heat
you can mount the external gate after the turbo too ya know
didnt know that. never seen it done before.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:05 PM
HASSELHOFF!

yllalnad yllalnad yllalnad yllalnad yllalnad yllalnad yllalnad yllalnad yllalnad yllalnad yllalnad

boost is boost..... lower psi would probably be better
Old 09-04-2003, 07:12 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

after the turbo? that doesnt make any sense since the purpose of the wastegate is to divert expanding exhaust gas away from the turbine.... .....anyway, gear, show me your turbo and I'll see if I can adjust the internal wastegate for you. I have "sources" and equipment to test that .... peace out
Old 09-04-2003, 07:33 PM
HAM

Let me teach you.
If you know how an internal wastegate works then it's easy to see how you can use an external wastegate after the turbo. Same principle just remove the flapper and replace with wastegate.
Picture of one for dsms:
Old 09-05-2003, 02:58 AM
Die reinste Bösen.

thank you for the information you have given me guys... and thermal are you busy this weekend?