Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Synthetic Or None-Synthetic Oil

Old 06-30-2008, 05:59 AM
Team Dickbutt #13!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613
Question Synthetic Or None-Synthetic Oil

What is the difference between Synthetic oil and None-Synthetic oil??????? Witch one is better for your motor???
Old 06-30-2008, 06:12 AM
Banned

k20eg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Synthetic Or None-Synthetic Oil

Synthetic oil FTW...the sediments that synthetic oil contains are a lot healthier for your motor especially if you run it from time to time.

Its like eating junk food. It will fill you up but is it really good for you?? Not really....

I know with gas prices and the oil prices rising people might ask this, but trust me bro...stick with synthetic.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

ODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these parts

synthetic oils allow your car to perform at peak levels longer. it has the ability to 'stay' together in higher, thus, providing better lubrication. and for normal, everyday, non-hard driving, it lasts longer than regular oil.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:37 AM
Team Dickbutt #13!!!

bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613 bryan64613

The reason of why I'm concern about this, is becuase all my friends use regular oil on their engines type r, turbos, all motor E.T.C. They keep on telling that the reason of why synthetic oil gets everywhere in your motor is becuase is 2 thin. The other thing that they told me is that once you been using synthetic oil for a while, your car starts smoking. I just start seeing some smoke on my civic, so I dont know if they are right and is due to the oil or if it is something else. Can some one please help me.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

ODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these parts

if it is too thin, switch to a higher grade/viscosity...

as far as getting oil everywhere, it may be because your seals are going bad somewhere.

*shrUG*

milage on your motor?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:07 AM
Team Dickbutt #13!!!

Originally Posted by ODU_Lude
if it is too thin, switch to a higher grade/viscosity...

as far as getting oil everywhere, it may be because your seals are going bad somewhere.

*shrUG*

milage on your motor?

I did switched to higher grade already. Now when I said synthetic oil gets everywhere, I ment that It lubricates all your chambers (what ever you call them) not that I'm getting oil everywhere, and as far as my seal they are ok. Mileage on car right close to 60k. Thanx 4 all the help.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:22 AM
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk

Originally Posted by ODU_Lude
synthetic oils allow your car to perform at peak levels longer. it has the ability to 'stay' together in higher, thus, providing better lubrication. and for normal, everyday, non-hard driving, it lasts longer than regular oil.
Noo, Synthetic oil will provide better protection in engines running hotter or to reiterate, provide better protection above 250-280 degrees. So if your daily driving during the week consists mainly of stop and go traffic then yes, otherwise not necessarily.

Standard/conventional oil's have quite a bit of "junk" in it as k20eg said, they have sulfur, wax, etc. in them which synthetic oils wont have.

Synthetic oils are thinner as well, not to be confused with viscosity. In a vehicle where oil pressure may be say, 60 psi at around 6k rpm, you'll see roughly 45 psi.

Now, whether or not to make the switch. This depends upon an engine really and it's gaskets, seals and rings (since rings are essentially seals). Conventional oils with all their junk in them, will promote to gasket/seal swell. If this has began, then switching to a synthetic probably isn't a great idea as you'll likely start burning it off fairly quickly and/or leaking it. Let alone switching brand oils altogether, regardless if synthetic or not. So if you used conventional for awhile and then switched to synthetic oil, sure, you are probably seeing smoke as a result of this. (ie. seals, gaskets, etc. get "used to" a certain oil for the lack of a more molecular science explanation)

I always recommend for new builds (after the first 500 miles of running on non-detergent conventional) for customers/people to switch to synthetic (and stick with it). I do scratch my head a little at those that like to perform 3k mile oil changes when having only ever ran synthetic as this simply is not needed, even if you're running a turbo. Oil filter change, sure, go for it, but..

Now, canola oils are being produced right now that outperform both synthetics and conventional oils (yes, I follow damn near every aspect of vehicles - thus oils). As ethanol/bio become more readily available (and there is less corn to eat), I'm sure you'll begin to see these lubricating oils available as well.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

Vampyrate is an unknown quantity at this point

^interesting point, but the corn debate i'll save for later.

one thing that im curious about, i was told years ago that synthetic oils do "clean" up the false seals made by conventional, but don't they in turn cause those false seals to also be remade from the synthetic? i noticed something like that with my 01 elantra i had years ago. after the first 2 changes that were made at 3k miles (due to minor leaking from false seals) they were fine. the car had 80k or so at the time when i made the switch.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Team Dickbutt #13!!!

Smile Re: Synthetic Or None-Synthetic Oil

Originally Posted by DeFunk
Noo, Synthetic oil will provide better protection in engines running hotter or to reiterate, provide better protection above 250-280 degrees. So if your daily driving during the week consists mainly of stop and go traffic then yes, otherwise not necessarily.

Standard/conventional oil's have quite a bit of "junk" in it as k20eg said, they have sulfur, wax, etc. in them which synthetic oils wont have.

Synthetic oils are thinner as well, not to be confused with viscosity. In a vehicle where oil pressure may be say, 60 psi at around 6k rpm, you'll see roughly 45 psi.

Now, whether or not to make the switch. This depends upon an engine really and it's gaskets, seals and rings (since rings are essentially seals). Conventional oils with all their junk in them, will promote to gasket/seal swell. If this has began, then switching to a synthetic probably isn't a great idea as you'll likely start burning it off fairly quickly and/or leaking it. Let alone switching brand oils altogether, regardless if synthetic or not. So if you used conventional for awhile and then switched to synthetic oil, sure, you are probably seeing smoke as a result of this. (ie. seals, gaskets, etc. get "used to" a certain oil for the lack of a more molecular science explanation)

I always recommend for new builds (after the first 500 miles of running on non-detergent conventional) for customers/people to switch to synthetic (and stick with it). I do scratch my head a little at those that like to perform 3k mile oil changes when having only ever ran synthetic as this simply is not needed, even if you're running a turbo. Oil filter change, sure, go for it, but..

Now, canola oils are being produced right now that outperform both synthetics and conventional oils (yes, I follow damn near every aspect of vehicles - thus oils). As ethanol/bio become more readily available (and there is less corn to eat), I'm sure you'll begin to see these lubricating oils available as well.
Well I still use Synthetic oil Mobil 1 on my car. I was thinking about doing the change, but after reading I guess i'm going to stick with the synthetic oil on both of my cars. Thanx for all the help and for a very good explanation. Thanx again
Old 06-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Team Dickbutt #13!!!

tttt

Quick Reply: Synthetic Or None-Synthetic Oil