Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

SWEET JESUS.. i looked at the wires coming off my ECU

Old 02-18-2005, 06:31 AM
No Turbo & No Talon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Talon has disabled reputation
Thumbs down SWEET JESUS.. i looked at the wires coming off my ECU

My car has been acting funny and i have never been able to get her to do right.
when i put the key in and turn it to on the stock boost gauge never moves to 0. i have to jiggle the ECU then it will jump up to where its supposed to be.

So today i decide to see wassup and look at the wires coming off it. I'm no expert but i dont think hthey r supposed to look like this..big ass lump in the wire with tape all around it
this is comign off the big wire group

Old 02-18-2005, 06:32 AM
No Turbo & No Talon

Default Re: SWEET JESUS.. i looked at the wires coming off my ECU

i take it apart to find this.

WTF is this bootleg shit i have here can someone please help me to put these wires on the right way.

Old 02-18-2005, 06:42 AM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

1. Buy some wire strippers, solder, flux, and an iron.
2. Get on DSMtalk and download your ecu wiring diagram.
3. Have fun.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

I really wish I could get in contact with the original owners of the car. They are complete idiots. Anyhow, im looking at all of that and honestly i can't really tell much from the pictures other than they tried to tap something into the harness... thats a good cause for a fire ^_^
Old 02-18-2005, 07:21 AM
PandaMania

BigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these parts

damn that is some fuked up shit
Old 02-18-2005, 07:44 AM
INCONCEIVABLE!

MeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to all

sweet mother; they might as well of dumped gas all over the car and thrown matches at it, your lucky no fire or atleast a fucked up ecu
Old 02-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You're probably looking at the factory wiring. That is a fairly common way to terminate the shields of shielded cables, Honda wiring looks almost exactly like that. The electrical tape is most likely factory also. They're just tying the shields of the cables to the closest ground wire to the ECU, so the cables are shielded as completely as possible. It's quick and perfectly normal. There is usually a gold or tin bare crimp barrel to attach the wires together, and a small bare section of wire. Everything exposed will all be ground most likely.
I've seen brown, black, blue, and other colors of factory electrical tape covering exactly what you're looking at on virgin cars like my del sol. I'd go take a picture but I don't have a camera..
Go get someone with a Honda to show you theirs.

By the way, if you have to jiggle your ECU to make it behave properly, I would open up the ECU and look at the solder joints where the main connector attaches to the circuit board. The solder joints might be fatigued and in need of a reflow..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 02-18-2005 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:10 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You're probably looking at the factory wiring. That is a fairly common way to terminate the shields of shielded cables, Honda wiring looks almost exactly like that. The electrical tape is most likely factory also. They're just tying the shields of the cables to the closest ground wire to the ECU, so the cables are shielded as completely as possible. It's quick and perfectly normal. There is usually a gold or tin bare crimp barrel to attach the wires together, and a small bare section of wire. Everything exposed will all be ground most likely.
I've seen brown, black, blue, and other colors of factory electrical tape covering exactly what you're looking at on virgin cars like my del sol. I'd go take a picture but I don't have a camera..
Go get someone with a Honda to show you theirs.

By the way, if you have to jiggle your ECU to make it behave properly, I would open up the ECU and look at the solder joints where the main connector attaches to the circuit board. The solder joints might be fatigued and in need of a reflow..

what you are looking at is the wiring for MAF, KS, CKS, and maybe CMP, all depending on if they are a voltage generator or not. that is factory. the wiring is shielded for noise resistance, and when the wiring nears termination, the shielding is twisted or soldered together and applied to a ground.

Originally Posted by MeanGreenGSX
sweet mother; they might as well of dumped gas all over the car and thrown matches at it, your lucky no fire or atleast a fucked up ecu

please dont jump to conclusions
Old 02-18-2005, 08:53 PM
No Turbo & No Talon

yes they have that gold crimp on the end. thanks guys