Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

subaru tranny

Old 10-19-2006, 03:34 PM
never enough boost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04WRX has disabled reputation
Default subaru tranny

i own a 04 wrx. and a year ago i ripped the tranny outof it doing a burnout. bad mistake but insurance covered it and i went on my way. well i have not been able to drive it for the last 6 months for insurance reasons (long story). but i was just wondering if anyone else has had this same prob with their rex. i know my bro drives it a little hard but not enough to through every gear out of it. thats right the shop said that there were absolutely no gears left in my car. dont know how to explain that. if any one can help pplease do.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Registered member

slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx
Default Re: subaru tranny

Thats weird that there are absolutly no gears left, I dont get how it would shear them all off. But as for the tranny problem...welcom to owning a non sti subaru. get a ppg gearset and keep on truckin'
Old 10-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

These are the types of problems that you have to expect when you have a mod'd WRX.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:56 PM
never enough boost

its not even that mod'd though. i have a catback, short ram intake, and a turbo timer. and thats it. it is starting to piss me off. do yall think i can fight it out with the insurance or is it a loosing battle?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Registered member

Its modded. Doesnt matter how modded, if insurance finds out your screwed. I wouldnt fight with them anyway. You can break a stock tranny if your car isnt modded at all. Just save up, or take out a loan and get a built tranny.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:25 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

or, buy another used stock tranny, put that in. Be in the hole for about 1g, take the hit and sell the car.

But honestly for it to have absolutly NO teeth left on every gear is utterly impossible. So i think you didn't understand your mechanic. I'd blame your brother. You said he drives the car hard. Well, all a wrx tranny needs is a few *hard* shifts and its over.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Registered member

The man speaks the truth^^^
Old 10-20-2006, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

Wrecked R6 has disabled reputation

its very hard to believe it broke every gear also a car that isnt modded can still break wrx gears because they are so weak. its all in how you drive it. if you need any help or parts give me a call at 757-493-3555 mj
Old 10-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I'm guessing that the reason you don't have any gears left is that you broke or stripped the gears on the transfer shaft or counter shaft that comes out of the tranny. 4th and 5th gears are way too strong to strip teeth given the torque ratio, it's not happening unless you have massive power and drive the car like a monkey. If you've broken off a few teeth, they may have lodged in the other gears and destroyed them though. It's possible, I've seen it done, it's not pretty.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:38 PM
never enough boost

thanks for the info. if anyone knows where i can get a tranny decently priced just let me know.

Quick Reply: subaru tranny