Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Sub/Amp stereo Question

Old 03-03-2007, 11:51 PM
'69 Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gearhead2012 has disabled reputation
Default Sub/Amp stereo Question

Ok, I've got an alpine head unit, that feeds a Power Acoustik 1400 watt amp. That runs 2 dual coil kicker subs, set to 2 ohms...and yes the amp is 2 ohm stable. I've loved this setup for about 3 months or so...but lately I'm having some issues. Have you ever heard a sub "pop" when it gets power, or something. Well, mine do that randomly. Sometimes once, sometimes a few times in a row...then just goes back to thumping away. I'm also getting clipping...if I understand that right. The subs just stop, randomly...sometimes for a few seconds, others for a few minutes...and then they come back on, and again, after a few minutes...they'll go out again. I don't know if the two problems are related...I'm guessing they are. I've tried checking grounds, and checking all connections, and double checking them. I've also tried setting the amp settings to help with what I think is clipping, with little help. Any help at all would be great. I feel kinda dumb...I'm usually pretty good at this stuff, but this one has me stumped. Thanks, I appreciate any help at all.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:02 AM
OM NOM NOM E30

JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87
Default Re: Sub/Amp stereo Question

mine did that when i went over a certain volume level suddenly. It was my preouts on my deck that were screwed up. Got it fixed and it's been fine since.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:50 AM
'69 Mustang

Thanks man...I think the deck is fine, but I was really looking for a power/ground...or RCA problem. I havent found any yet...and thought maybe a problem with the settings on the amp. Ant other ideas?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation

try another set of rca and make sure you tape them up at the connection to unit and amp . sometime the connector will hit metal and give feedback. what make of car?

Last edited by aacjohnc; 03-04-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:23 PM
'69 Mustang

It's in a chevy trailblazer, but it doesn't sound anything at all like feedback. They litterally "pop"...sounds like someone is flicking them or something;just like when you power it up, and sometimes they give a pop. I checked all the cables and everything seems ok. I'm out of ideas.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

awd4lyfe has a reputation beyond reputeawd4lyfe has a reputation beyond reputeawd4lyfe has a reputation beyond reputeawd4lyfe has a reputation beyond reputeawd4lyfe has a reputation beyond reputeawd4lyfe has a reputation beyond reputeawd4lyfe has a reputation beyond reputeawd4lyfe has a reputation beyond reputeawd4lyfe has a reputation beyond repute

try just replacing the speaker wire
Old 03-04-2007, 08:51 PM
'69 Mustang

It's brand new wire...and should be fine. It's seriously less than a month old. I'm not saying it couldn't be bad from the factory, but I bet it's ok. The only think I can think of that's left to try, would be to pull the subs out of the box (again) and wire them up 4 ohm, instead of 2 ohm. They are dual voice coil, and the amp is 2 ohm stable, but I think I might just try running it at 4 ohm, and seeing if it helps. It's got more them enough kick...way more in 2 ohm, so 4 ohm should still do ok. I like power acoustik...and I've heard lots, and lots of good things about them. I really don't want to think it's the amp...but if it is...so be it.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:09 PM
dru
GUIBO!?

dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru

Originally Posted by Gearhead2012
It's brand new wire...and should be fine. It's seriously less than a month old. I'm not saying it couldn't be bad from the factory, but I bet it's ok. The only think I can think of that's left to try, would be to pull the subs out of the box (again) and wire them up 4 ohm, instead of 2 ohm. They are dual voice coil, and the amp is 2 ohm stable, but I think I might just try running it at 4 ohm, and seeing if it helps. It's got more them enough kick...way more in 2 ohm, so 4 ohm should still do ok. I like power acoustik...and I've heard lots, and lots of good things about them. I really don't want to think it's the amp...but if it is...so be it.
how is that possible?

power acoustik is decent enough tho. there are better amps out there but they are decent enough

another thing that can be affecting all this is that your subs could just be bottoming out i think or teh signal from headunit is actually clipped

make sure your gains are set properly on teh amp
Old 03-04-2007, 09:55 PM
'69 Mustang

Originally Posted by dru
how is that possible?

power acoustik is decent enough tho. there are better amps out there but they are decent enough

another thing that can be affecting all this is that your subs could just be bottoming out i think or teh signal from headunit is actually clipped

make sure your gains are set properly on teh amp

How is what possible? 2 to 4 ohm...I'd just re-wire them. I doubt they're bottoming out, because it happens when it isn't even turned up at all. I did notice tonight that when I turned the volume down, they "popped" a lttle. And...what do you mean "gains". I just put the LPF up a little, add about half bass boost, and turn the "level" up some. I know these don't sound very specific at all, but I don't have it in front of me to say where they're actually set. Any advice on how to actually set it up properly?
Old 03-05-2007, 06:31 AM
Wanna Taste??

TazZ99CiviC is an unknown quantity at this point

My "unprofessional" advice would be to not turn the amps up over 3/4 of the way. Sounds like a power surge to me, and the amps just may be getting weak.

Do you have a Capacitor? If not, you just may want to invest in one or 2...

Quick Reply: Sub/Amp stereo Question