Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

SR20 and RB25 AC Q's

Old 02-02-2007, 08:40 AM
ooooooooooowwweeeeee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don_is_Rad has disabled reputation
Default SR20 and RB25 AC Q's

Is it possible to retain the ac and still have a SR20 or a RB25 in a Nissan 240 1995 -1998, if so what company makes the brackets??
Thank you for any help!
Don
Old 02-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Lost Cat Magnet

drifterJERRY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SR20 and RB25 AC Q's

http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showth...sr+official+ac

thats the best i have found on the SR w/AC
Old 02-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

WillRace4Food is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes and its not hard at all with the SR swap. I took the ac compressor off my 93' KA and 2 of the bolts lined up and it sits in there fine. You could actually use the SR's compressor by modifying the main compressor line which wouldn't be very hard at all. If you have a compressor from a dohc ka motor it'll almost be a direct bolt up, however; only 2 bolts will be holding it in place. The only problem I've run into is that the ac compressor hardline runs right in front of the intake into the turbo which will require some bending of the hardline to get it to clear. Other than that retaining AC on the SR is not hard at all. The RB is a bit trickier and would require alot of custom fabing. If you want an ez hookup and wanna retain your AC just go with an SR.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:02 AM
ooooooooooowwweeeeee

Don_is_Rad has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by drifterJERRY
http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showth...sr+official+ac

thats the best i have found on the SR w/AC
Posted by GSRACER

ok so here goes, ill go thru 2 steps that i did to get it to work. Step 1 compressor , step 2 wiring. Guys like i said before in my first post this was so simple it was scary , i dont know why nobody knew how to do this, infact i never tried what i though for the wiring because it looked to easy and i figured if nobody colud figure it out then it couldnt possibly be that simple.

So here goes
STEP 1 COMPRESSOR

when i put my s14 ka compressor on the s13 sr its 3 bolt holes (if i remember correctly since i really only have the top two on now) would line up but the clutch would hit the compressor bracket. so i went to the junk yard in search of a longer clutch that put the belt ribs out about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch more twoards the front of the car, and low and behold i found one. it was off of a nissan pathfinder 95 v6. the clutch was long enough but it had one extra rib (sr and ka use 4 rib belt/ pathfinder 5 rib belt) but when i put it all together the belt lined up perfectly. the stock s14 ka lines now obviuosly work because you are using the original compresor with one exception . The one that goes out to the condensor fits perfectly however , you will need to bend the one that goes towards the fire wall with the little tank on it a little bit as it will hit the powersteering bracket. but it wil fit it took me about 10 minutes of bending , testing, bending testing etc, but trust me it will fit just be carefull not to kink it to much. also the factory belt will work with this setup no special belt needed and the tensioner will also work fine. well fill it with freon and your done with this step.

STEP 2 WIRING

This was the simplest part , on the s14 the plug for the compressor is not on the engine harness as for the SR, the s14 has the plug on the driverside fender well , this comes from the main harness that goes by the driverside fender. Well since your using your original compressor you will find that it plugs right in just as it did before. However when you push the a/c button on the dashboard nothing happens. you will notice that all of the other controls work except for the a/c button. you might also notcie if you jump the relay in the fuse box that the clutch will engage and compressor will turno on, but we want it to work like stock with the button on the dasboard. So here is what you do

***** this is the big secret that the wiring people wont tell you ****

on the f3 conector (big white plug under dashboard near passenger foot well , you know the one you have to splice into to make your engine swap work) you need to splice together the following cables pin 16 yellow/ black to pin 43 or 46 (cant remeber now im at work) black/pink. and what do you know voila it works, push the a/c button a/c turns on, pust it again it turns off. 2 friggin wires, it was staring me in the face for like a week before i tried it , it seemed to easy, thats it just sauder those two wires togerther and ti will work like stock.

the only issure is wiring it into the idle air control valve so the rpms wont drop as much but i dont really think that is an issure as i have not had any problems with it yet its not to bad but i already pretty much got that figured out and iwill be doing it at some point later this week i will post it then. hope this helps some of you people sweating in your car, cuz ill tell you here in miami i is hot as biatch

Posted by Primeral

The reason why I brought this thread back to life is I've been talking to a well known machining company and a well known vendor about making a replacement aluminum bracket with the correct bolt offsets. It would be easy to incorporate additional bolt holes for all variations of KA compressors to make it a universal bracket.

Rather than evacuating and recharging the system, making custom lines, and buying a Pathfinder clutch/pulley to get A/C in an SR-powered S13/S14, why not use the KA compressor? I guess my number one concern is serviceability: if the KA compressor breaks, a repacement can be found instantly and domestically.

I wanted to gauge interest in a bolt-on bracket to correctly adapt the existing KA compressor from both S13 and S14 to the SR20. Minimum run is 25 pieces, and the cost on the piece would be in the ballpark of $150 (cheaper than the cost of custom work plus freon and compatible clutch/pulley). Rather than having the KA compressor mounted incorrectly with only two bolts or adding weight by adapting the adapter, I'm wanting to get a lighter aluminum piece made. I kind of need the help of 24 others. Anyone interested?

Thank you!