Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

SR20 crankshaft trouble! HELP!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
imSUPERjon has disabled reputation
Default SR20 crankshaft trouble! HELP!

okay, so i got my sr20 from jei. blah blah blah. take it to magnum machines in chesapeake to take it apart, look at it and put my new gaskets in it etc. they find that the crankshaft is ground down about a milimeter on the main journals on the transmission side. i don't know how it got like that and i went and took a look at it and sure enough, that looks pretty f-ed up!

so here are my options, a refurb crankshaft without the chemical hardening treatment blah blah for $250, or a new one for $800. there are also 2 sr20 cranks in the country supplied by nissan for like $650. not so bad...

but i wonder if the lists which they're looking at are for the b13 front drive sr20, i know the nissan supplied crankshaft is cuz thats what he looked up. but the two that magnum machines found, that's probably what they're looking at...

so my question is, are the cranks from fwd and rwd sr20s interchangable? i mean essensially same engine with different tranny right? and how important is the chemical treatment that hardens metal, i mean, i'll be beating on the engine some obviously, i'm posting here... but doesn't it only go down like 1/20 mm or something like that?

help please!