Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Spray paint removal.....any ideas

Old 10-03-2004, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam
Default Spray paint removal.....any ideas

Hey guys, finally got the car back and running, so now it's on to making her pretty again. As you know when they stole the car they spraypainted it black. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove it without inhailating the paint below? I'm guessing it can't get done, but I'm open to ideas. The black isn't very thick. On sunny days you can actually see the flake from the old paint. I was thinking about getting some extremely fine Sand paper and wetsanding it. Anyone else have any ideas? Here are some pics.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Spray paint removal.....any ideas

Scotchbrite pad on a drill and make sure you have a respirator.. You'll have to wet sand it after that, but the scotchbrite pad will really speed things up..
Other than that, you can just wet sand it by hand.. Whatever you do you'll have to hand sand it to prep for the new paint anyway..
Old 10-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

Your probably best off just sanding/scuffing it up and primering it with a mask on. itll get repainted soon anways...right?
Old 10-03-2004, 11:11 AM
HM-8404

HMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud ofHMBeaty has much to be proud of

Congrats on getting your back. Going back onto topic, you're better off wet sanding it with a very fine sand paper.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:59 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

This is the perfect time to fix those little fender and hood dents too..
Old 10-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

"SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
This is the perfect time to fix those little fender and hood dents too..
Patience Daniel son. One thing at a time. Spray paint off first. I actually did get most of the dents out today. I've been sanding the top of the car on and off all day. I think with a hell of a wax job she might look pretty good until I can get another paint job. Hope to have it done before the end of the week.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Racetracks

Don't wax it, it's just more chemicals and crap to take off later before you get it painted...
Old 10-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

Some punk graffitied my dads truck once, laquer thinner took it right off without harming the paint. It was the thick Rustoleum paint too. Give it a shot I really think it will help you out. I would before I had to sand anything.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:27 PM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

glad to see you got your car back Kev!!
Old 10-04-2004, 03:16 PM
Stock for Now!!

boostedgsrcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

use reducer or mineral spirit its not as strong as thinner and it drys alot faster so it doesnt dammage the paint then just buff it if your paint is in good shape

Quick Reply: Spray paint removal.....any ideas