Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

sound system problem

Old 05-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dodo94integra has disabled reputation
Default sound system problem

ok well when i have a song with alot of bass and i turn it really loud it makes the radio turn of and restart anyone else had this problem before? it is an aftermarket cd player.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Blood Money

turbo9mm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: sound system problem

check the wires on the back of the reciever I had a similar problem I had a wire come loose, and everytime it would hit really hard it would cut off so I took it out to find one of the wires barely in there.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

ok well i have the stereo out right now so i will try that tomorrow....and there is this wire that is out but it doesnt fit any where that i can find it looks kinda like a s-video cable?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

didnt work...i unpluged everything and plug it back in and made sure its tight still didnt work
Old 05-05-2006, 01:22 PM
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

Have you tried turning the bass down?
Old 05-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You have a poor/loose power or ground, or corrosion on the connector, splice, whatever. There is resistance somewhere from whatever is wrong, and when the bass hits, there is enough power draw that you're getting too much voltage drop. That's what's making the radio turn off. When something has resistance between two points (like the two ends of a wire) and you pass a current though it, you get a voltage drop across it (a proportian of the current). The higher the current, the more the voltage drop, etc. The formulas are simple, but I won't bore you with them.

Electricity is fun. Or a pain in the ass, depending on your point of view..
Old 05-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

thanks...and yes it works with the bass down but sumtimes i like to turn it up for a little fun. any is there any way u can explain that in retard terms for me lol or a way i can make that stuff not happen?
Old 05-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Well, you have to find where it's grounded, and make sure it's not grounded to something like the dash frame. Many cars have dash frames that are mixed metal and plastic, so the metal sometimes doens't connect to the chassis like you think it would/should. Also, make sure the power wire is large enough, because there is a chance that you're choking the radio from too small of a wire. If you had it installed somewhere, I would take it back to them and get them to fix it, it's not your fault at all. If you did it yourself, check all the connections to the power and ground, and that nothing is loose. It's a good idea to solder as many of the connections as you can, especially if you've spliced the head unit's stock harness to an adapter harness. A lot of people use crimp caps (ghetto) or just twist the wires together and tape over them (don't get me started).. DOn't try to get rid of the stock connector though, most cars have a quality stock radio connector and it's not smart to cut it off.

Oh yeah, make sure that you actually have the ground hooked up at all. If the ground goes to nothing (doesn't actually connect to the chassis of the car) or is missing, the head unit will usually use the shield of the antenna cable for it's ground, and that doesn't work very well. You can tell if this is happening by unplugging the antenna from the head unit while it's turned on. If the radio shuts off, you have a major ground problem.

The real answer to your question is to have someone check out a few things with a multimeter, like what the voltage is doing with the volume up, and if there is any difference in voltage between the radio's ground and chassis ground. This often isn't an easy problem to see clearly..
Old 05-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

wow im confused lol but thanks man sounds like you know alot about it...where do u live at? if its anywhere in the 757 and you would be happy to look at it and tell me whats wrong u dont have to fix it i wouldnt mind paying you....
Old 05-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Racetracks

I'm in CO now, but Jay (vr4-ever) might be able to help you out, or a car audio shop.

Quick Reply: sound system problem