Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

single cam wont start...help

Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TypeSTurbo has disabled reputation
Default single cam wont start...help

ok my buddys car was running fine, then all the sudden it cut off. we realized the alternator belt was loose, so we tightened that, charged the battery on a 2 amp trickle charge and tried again. still no luck. there is a weird clicking noise coming from up under the dash. it also sounded like there was a clicking coming from the fuel pump as well. we changed the fuel pump and corrected the clicking from that region, but it is still clicking from under the dash. it seems to be coming from the main relay so we also tried swapping that with one from a running car still have no luck gettng this piece of shit to start. it cranks over all day long, it just wont start. if you have any info that could help out i would greatly appreciate it. thanks.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0
Default Re: single cam wont start...help

Distributor
Old 03-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Registered Member

1slowxr4ti has disabled reputation

you need to check for spark..look on how to check that through the plug wires and a screw driver. it might be your distributor like 83stang said. check for spark
Old 03-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

No check engine lights? Usually a distributor problem will trigger a CEL, so I would doubt it is a problem with any of the position sensors that are in the distributor. Could be a coil problem though. When you say "clicking" is it clicking once, or repeatedly clicking, or randomly clicking, etc.?

Have you checked the fuses?
Old 03-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

crznx2000 has disabled reputation

frind out if its a fuel related problem, or ignition. remids me of when my fuel pump relay went out. 5 minute fix, 10 dollar part. i could be wrong, but if your not getting fuel, try that. its a common problem.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

fuel pump has already been replaced. and im pretty sure fuel isnt the problem. the clicking under the dash is 100% coming from the main relay, but it even does it with one from a running car. im gonna check for spark tomorrow morning, but it wasnt too long ago that the rotor, dizzy cap, plugs and plug wires were replaced. regardless, ill keep everyone updated on this piece of shit. thanks for all the help though.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

ok, checked for spark and thats all good. any other suggestions?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Go Hard or Go Home

phreakvbhc is infamous around these partsphreakvbhc is infamous around these partsphreakvbhc is infamous around these partsphreakvbhc is infamous around these partsphreakvbhc is infamous around these partsphreakvbhc is infamous around these partsphreakvbhc is infamous around these partsphreakvbhc is infamous around these partsphreakvbhc is infamous around these partsphreakvbhc is infamous around these partsphreakvbhc is infamous around these parts

check your coil up and down..... I had a similar problem a month ago. was driving and boom nothing. turned out to be a hair line crack near a terminal on the coil pack.

you could also try carb cleaner into the throttle body. if it starts, you're not gettin fuel for whatever reason.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

nicknoma has disabled reputation

spark from the coil or the plug wire? pull the cap and check for condensation ?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

ok everything is functioning properly when it comes to both fuel and spark. a solid, hot blue spark is being fired in every cylinder. also, the fuel pump is pressurizing and sending fuel to the rail just fine. injectors have been cleaned along with pretty much everything on this car. i have replaced, fuel pump, fuel relay, plugs, plug wires, and even head gasket as that was the original problem. the car now starts for approx. 5-10 seconds, but idles very hard and eventually shuts off. i really have no idea what is going on with this damn car. possibly timing?

Quick Reply: single cam wont start...help