Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

shop workers

Old 01-19-2004, 06:53 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough
Default shop workers

anyone know the approximate cost to get the valves, tensioner, and timing belt replaced and all put back together on a b16 crx? im sure someone here works in a shop.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:20 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

You talking about installing new valves only or what?

Give me the year and I will use all data at work tomorrow and get a rough estimate on labor. I am guessing 500 bucks.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:37 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

motor is an 89 b16a in an 88 crx. im not 100% sure but its highly possible the valves are bent in my motor because of it jumping timing by 2 degrees. soo.. as a precaution im going to replace them, and while im doing so, im going the have the tensioner and timing belt replaced just to make sure it doesnt do it again.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:37 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Ok here is the breakdown in estimated labor hours from all data if seperately.

Timing belt............................2.1 hours
with AC add .5 hour
R&R camshaft seal .4 hour
with PS add .4 hour
total hour 3.4

Valves
Resurface/Grind
All cylinders which includes R&R heads, clean carbon, grind all your valves and seats and make any adjustments that are needed............................................ .....................................8.8
with AC add .5
with PS add .4
replace timing belt add .8
total labor hours 10.5

Now if you need the valve guides, rocker arms redone it will be about another 1.5 hours.

I recommend getting it all done at once which will be about 11.5 hours of labor. Now whats gonna be a big influence is who does it and what's their labor rate. Ours is 79 bucks an hour. That is a rough guide on how long it takes. However when they get a labor rate, they have all the tools laid out, and perform the job roughly 10 times and take the average. It may take more or less depending on the shop and the Techs skill and how many times he has performed that work on that motor.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:10 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

"boot to the head!"
Old 01-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Banned

Boosted2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt you need new valves. How many times has it jumped 2 degrees? Also tensioner not set good or bearing went out in it can cause timing belt slip. Ill help you with changing belt and tensior if you want?
Old 01-20-2004, 06:27 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

i plan on taking the head off and having it checked out to see if any harm was done before i do anything.