Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Shaved trunk question

Old 02-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Function > Form

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
Default Shaved trunk question

So, I shaved my trunk over the cousre of the last few days. This is the first body work I have ever done and I dont think its too bad but it could be better.

This is where the Acura emblem was. Since the previous owner scratched the hell out of the paint when removing the emblem to put on a red Honda emblem (dont ask me why) I had to go over the area with touch-up paint. I couldn't really get the paint to apply smoothly on account of the wind and cold making it dry so fast so I went over it with some 2000 grit sandpaper. Like I said this is my first time doing body work so I was a little sloppy and some of the surrounding paint got sanded. This didnt take it to metal or anything, it just removed some paint and made the effected area a lighter white than the rest of the trunk. Im still not done sanding down the extra paint but you get the idea...

Is there anything I can do to make the color look more even? Also, Is there anything I can do to take off the slightly darker marks above the painted area (caused by bondo methinks) It's not terribly noticeable, but if I can get rid of it, than I will

thanks

Last edited by 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY; 02-17-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Shaved trunk question

Looks like you haven't finished sanding that yet.. Keep going. When it's done you won't notice anything but the slight difference in paint color. It should look like you hit it with touch up paint, not like you've done any body work.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

Yeah I realize I need to even it out still but I was wondering if there was anything I could do about the lighter white where I sanded the original paint.

Would a good wax/buff even out the color some?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:05 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If the paint colors are different, no. You should overlap the new paint more onto where you sanded the old paint. You can try to use a rubbing compound, but if the colors are physically different than you won't have much luck.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Function > Form

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If the paint colors are different, no. You should overlap the new paint more onto where you sanded the old paint. You can try to use a rubbing compound, but if the colors are physically different than you won't have much luck.
its not so much that the paint is different, its just that the sanded area has been removed of a layer of paint and all the dirt on it so it a brighter white than the rest of the trunk. Just looking to even it out some so its not so noticeable.

Oh, and whats a rubbing compound?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Racetracks

A rubbing compound is the same type of product as a buffing compound, both being an abrasive paste. I should have said buffing compound, because they leave a finer surface finish, but I use the two terms interchangeably.

Anyway, if its just dirt and grime trapped in the paint, try a mild paint polish/cleaner system like McGuiars (which I can't spell). The system is a cleaner, a polish, and a wax, and it's designed for just what you need. It's also completely chemical, with no abrasives.
If that doesn't work, try a finishing/buffing compound, which is a very mild abrasive and usually just enough to remove surface swirl marks and grime. If you're shopping, make sure you buy something that can be used by hand (not a machine). Then follow with a polish and wax.

Whatever you do, it wouldn't hurt to do the rest of the car while you're at it....
Old 02-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Function > Form

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
A rubbing compound is the same type of product as a buffing compound, both being an abrasive paste. I should have said buffing compound, because they leave a finer surface finish, but I use the two terms interchangeably.

Anyway, if its just dirt and grime trapped in the paint, try a mild paint polish/cleaner system like McGuiars (which I can't spell). The system is a cleaner, a polish, and a wax, and it's designed for just what you need. It's also completely chemical, with no abrasives.
If that doesn't work, try a finishing/buffing compound, which is a very mild abrasive and usually just enough to remove surface swirl marks and grime. If you're shopping, make sure you buy something that can be used by hand (not a machine). Then follow with a polish and wax.

Whatever you do, it wouldn't hurt to do the rest of the car while you're at it....
cool, I will look for some paint polish/cleaner