Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

setting TDC w/ skunks

Old 02-11-2003, 03:20 PM
teamULTRASPEED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
see are x is an unknown quantity at this point
Default setting TDC w/ skunks

I took my cams/cam gears out, now Im trying to put them back in. The exhaust gear is advanced, and the intake gear is retarded(or it might be the other way around) would this cause the TDC marks on the gears not to line up when it IS at TDC??
Old 02-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Iridium V

MGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond repute

This leaves for alot of questions to be asked. If you're lining up the gears to the TDC marks and the gears are already set (advanced or retarded) you should be straight. If they are not advanced or retarded, you'll need to get a timing wheel and time them with the crankshaft. This way you can turn the gears to the correct degree of advance you need.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:14 PM
teamULTRASPEED

ok, I messed with the gears a little tonight, and this is what I came up with...BTW, theyre set at, Intake +2, Exhaust -1...

Old 02-12-2003, 08:16 PM
teamULTRASPEED

does that look right to anybody?
Old 02-13-2003, 08:15 AM
PHOENIX

UltraJZA80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: setting TDC w/ skunks

Originally posted by see are x
I took my cams/cam gears out, now Im trying to put them back in. The exhaust gear is advanced, and the intake gear is retarded(or it might be the other way around) would this cause the TDC marks on the gears not to line up when it IS at TDC??
When installing them you should have both the gears at zero. You adjust (retard or advance) them afterwards to avoid this.

The gears themselves should always line up as intened. The cams are what are getting changed in relation to the gears.

That looks like possible piston slapping too me...

Last edited by UltraJZA80; 02-13-2003 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:44 AM
Iridium V

MGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond repute

Are you using adjustable cam gears or are they stock. If you're running the adjustables you can set them up in their intended positions and then rotate the internal sprocket to advance the cam. If you want to have it set up the way you do, it should be fine as long as the gear and the cam are in time, and the advancement and retardation is correct.