Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

SAE correction vs DIN correction?

Old 12-21-2009, 07:25 PM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Re: SAE correction vs DIN correction?

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Without knowing what both correction equations are, it's hard to get to the bottom of it. DIN and SAE might have different drivetrain corrections, etc. Both are actually supposed to be HP at the crank if I remember, so it's very possible that the corrections for loss are different.
You know, thats the thing that gets me about dyno correction factors. SAE and DIN are both at the crank...but the dyno corrector applies them at the wheels (i.e. doesn't account for driveline losses). From my googling, it seems like they just adjust for temp and humidity (SAE correcting to 77F and 0% and DIN going for 68F and 0%).
Old 12-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: SAE correction vs DIN correction?

There are other correction factors for driveline losses. SAE and DIN just correct for ambient conditions. The driveline loss numbers can be a big fudge factor though, but they're supposed to be constants based on the type of drivetrain (just so HP numbers are comparable, not because the drivetrain constants are accurate). It's really hard to actually characterize drivetrain losses though, so it's really hard to accurately predict (intentional word choice) what the engine HP is based on the output to the wheels. That's one of the reasons I've always been a fan of RotoTest and DynaPack dynos; they get rid of a lot of friction variables.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-21-2009 at 07:41 PM.