Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

reverse lights...

Old 01-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
staticv0id is a jewel in the roughstaticv0id is a jewel in the roughstaticv0id is a jewel in the roughstaticv0id is a jewel in the roughstaticv0id is a jewel in the rough
Default reverse lights...

Okay, I just want to say that my automotive knowledge is low to moderate at best, so if I am wrong please correct me.

So just a little background before the question, I just bought a car that was recently swap and everything is fine with the car except the reverse lights are switch? (lack of a better word).

The beater: 1993 Honda Del Sol SI | Engine: JDM SOHC ZC (same as the usdm d16z6 motor I think?) | Transmission: 5 speed manual transmission (I don't know the exact type of transmission, if you can tell me where I could find the stamp or identifier I can look, if the info is required)

The problem: Reverse lights come on when the transmission is not in reverse and the lights go out if I shift into reverse.

My solution (I think): Is that the lines for the reverse lights were wired the wrong way and need to be switched to correct the issue.

My question: I am pretty confident that the lines were wired the wrong way and if they are, how hard would it be to switch the lines so that the reverse lights come on when the the transmission is in the reverse gear and go off when not in reverse? Keep in mind, I have very limited knowledge when it comes to automotive repair and no knowledge when it comes to electrical repair. But I am willing to give it a shot if someone could please post a step by step instruction guide or if there is anyone in the Herndon/Reston/Fairfax area that could help me out I would greatly appreciate it, I wouldn't mind paying and bringing the car to you (I live in an apartment complex and I can't do work on the premises anyways).

I would take it back to the shop that did the motor swap but the seller said that the shop had closed down. The car inspection is expiring soon, so I need to do this as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:00 PM
LIKE A BOSS

jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey
Default Re: reverse lights...

try to unplug the reverse light switch on the tranny to see if it's the switch that was wrong, and not the wiring. it's kinda hard to mess up a reverse light wiring.

and ohh, it's a plug on the transmission that should have 2 wires on it.

Last edited by jdm monkey; 01-04-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

staticv0id is a jewel in the roughstaticv0id is a jewel in the roughstaticv0id is a jewel in the roughstaticv0id is a jewel in the roughstaticv0id is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jdm monkey
try to unplug the reverse light switch on the tranny to see if it's the switch that was wrong, and not the wiring. it's kinda hard to mess up a reverse light wiring.

and ohh, it's a plug on the transmission that should have 2 wires on it.
Where would it be located on the transmission? I looked and the only plug I could see looking from the top of the transmission in the engine bay is a plug that has three wires on it.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:24 PM
LIKE A BOSS

jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey

i beleive that's the speed sensor...im gonna try and look for a picture
Old 01-04-2010, 02:29 PM
LIKE A BOSS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-H...RCHQ3aUSQ3a102

look at the pics on this link. it's the one with wires hanging from it.
unplug that and see if the light turns off.

if im wrong, somebody correct me but you will not damage anything by unplugging any plug on the tranny.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow, its dark and freezing out right now.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:07 AM
LIKE A BOSS

no guts no glory, DOITNAO!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Haha! I gave it a go this morning and the reverse lights went out after I disconnected the plug and stayed out even when I put it in reverse. So does that mean the the wires were switched up?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 AM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

The bulb is plugged in backwards. Duh.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM
LIKE A BOSS

Originally Posted by staticv0id
Haha! I gave it a go this morning and the reverse lights went out after I disconnected the plug and stayed out even when I put it in reverse. So does that mean the the wires were switched up?
it's the switch on the tranny. u could fix it by replacing it, unless there is somthing else wrong inside the tranny that triggers the switch.
go to the junkyard and get one

the wires doesnt really have a polarity, it doesnt matter if it's switched around.
those wires are used to complete the circuit so if you connect those wires together, the light will turn on.

Quick Reply: reverse lights...