Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Removing rust from aluminum block?

Old 12-24-2012, 08:23 AM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Re: Removing rust from aluminum block?

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Don't worry about it, it's not going to affect anything.. What did the staining come from, the head gasket?
Yeah. The weird thing is I can't think of any ferrous metal in the block or in the cooling system. My other thought is maybe it's not rust but just dye staining. Mercedes coolant is orange.

BTW, you'll be pleased to hear that I'm flow testing everything and car is going to get as much breathing as I can give it. I just wish there were a way to give it more of an intake manifold to work with.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So you don't think it's from the head gasket itself?
Old 12-25-2012, 03:27 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
So you don't think it's from the head gasket itself?
It's a carbon head gasket with a built in silicon bead. The only metal I see in it are rights around the top of the cylinders. Or does the carbon matrix have a ferrous metal within it?
Old 12-25-2012, 03:38 AM
Registered member

mikejones002100 has disabled reputation

Using 1500-2000 grit sand paper isn't going to take off enough metal to make anything no true anymore.. unless your aggressive with it and sand in one spot aggressively then it can eat the metal.. when I worked at the shop the engine builder always used a find wiz wheel on aluminum and steel blocks to clean corrosion off them and never had any issues.. even does it to his $5000 aluminum heads on his 598ci big block race motor when it was freshened up a week or 2 ago..
Old 12-25-2012, 05:03 AM
Duct tape & Zip Ties

SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO

always just used a green scrub pad and some motor oil and will be ok. clean with brake cleaner. dont agressively scrub it, just average pressure.
why not get the block decked?
Old 12-25-2012, 02:17 PM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by SCREECHO
always just used a green scrub pad and some motor oil and will be ok. clean with brake cleaner. dont agressively scrub it, just average pressure.
why not get the block decked?
Why deck a perfectly good block? That fucks up all the clearances. The wasn't a head gasket repair. Heads and intake are just out being modified. It's already running high-comp pistons, I'm not keen on decking the block.