Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Rebuilding a d16 motor.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eight Bit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rebuilding a d16 motor.

Ok, so I've thought this through about what I've been wanting to do my 89 Integra. I've had this car for almost a year and I've only done cat-back exhaust, mainly because I didn't know whether I wanted to do a motor swap or just keep what I got, even though the mileage is so high. (Just hit 169,000 today.) Well, me and a friend were talking about it and I'm thinking about just keeping the dohc d16 and boosting it hopefully by next July (Funds are low at the moment and the car needs other work too). I'm thinking 10psi max. The thing is, well, I'm still learning a lot about cars in general and even I know that cars become less reliable once turbocharged. Probably even more so with a d16. I already know I'm going to have to have very strong internals for something not to blow up. I've been researching all about my engine.

I'd rather not have to buy another d16 with less mileage. This is all going to be a learning experience for me. Time will tell whether it will be a hard lesson or not. People are telling me to just go B-series. But when taken into consideration, rebuilding the D16 and going turbo is more within my budget. I was wondering how affective rebuilding an engine really is. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx
Default Re: Rebuilding a d16 motor.

dohc d16? what? at least I didnt see vtech "oh my, just looked up in the adverstisement section and there it is VTech Telephones, good for a late night laugh" Did some really really put a d16 into your teg? My advice: I am guessing this is a sohc motor your thinking of boosting, and building the motor is not cheap in any ***** aspect at all. to build a d series "rings, rods, pistons, the works ec ec. and getting it done right is going to cost a lot of money. say 2k if not more. It is not worth it unless you actually do have the funds. Get a fresher motor, slap on a thicker headgasket, get the kit you want within reason and use hondata, greddy e-manage or whatever you want and get it tuned right. More power in these cars does not always mean more fun.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Banned

zimzorga is an unknown quantity at this point

silly, he has the D16A1 which is the US version of the ZC swap. i say stick with that motor, it can rev alot higher then any other D series. Really you should just replace the seals, gaskets, rod bearings, and piston rings. when you have those replaced you can boost you motor to around 200whp and still be running it as a reliable daily. the only thing i can most stress is spending the extra money and do the tuning right the first time. dont do an AFC hack, they suck something awful. get your car dyno tuned with the kit and it should run forever(just keep up oil and regular maintnence(sp))
Old 07-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by zimzorga
silly, he has the D16A1 which is the US version of the ZC swap. i say stick with that motor, it can rev alot higher then any other D series. Really you should just replace the seals, gaskets, rod bearings, and piston rings. when you have those replaced you can boost you motor to around 200whp and still be running it as a reliable daily. the only thing i can most stress is spending the extra money and do the tuning right the first time. dont do an AFC hack, they suck something awful. get your car dyno tuned with the kit and it should run forever(just keep up oil and regular maintnence(sp))
Thanks for that. And at 200+hp240sx: When I say cheap. I don't mean half assing. I know rebuilding the d16 and going turbo will cheaper than going b-series, paying for installation (Because I surely can't do it myself.) and then going turbo. I've been researching a lot about boosting the d16 and I know with my budget I should be able to get about 200whp out of it by next summer. That's all I'm really looking for, because I still need it to be somewhat reliable. Unless I have cheap car by then, I'll be driving the Teg around everyday.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:28 AM
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Nigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the rough

you dont necessarily need to build a block to get it to last. its all in how the block was kept before you boosted it,how the car is tuned after boost,and how you take care of the car after you boost it. Theres plenty of 200-300 whp D series turbo setups running around in this country..that dont believe in building bottom ends..only tuning,and good parts. dont let everyone make you think you have to build a bottom end to make power. Im putting together a setup right now..and i could probably make 200whp..depending on how much boost i have to run on my turbo.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Banned

zimzorga is an unknown quantity at this point

when it comes to the bottom end, the rods are the weak point in a D series motor. if you plan on replacing anything, then get some nice eagle h rods or something on those lines. i havnt done alot of research, but from what i have read, just changing out the rods will make your bottom end capable of around 250-275. but i suggest you research this a little further then i did.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by zimzorga
when it comes to the bottom end, the rods are the weak point in a D series motor. if you plan on replacing anything, then get some nice eagle h rods or something on those lines. i havnt done alot of research, but from what i have read, just changing out the rods will make your bottom end capable of around 250-275. but i suggest you research this a little further then i did.
Of course. The main thing I need to do is change the rods. or something's gonna break no doubt. That's basically top priority. There's other things I need to modify too in order to get as much life out the engine as possible while being boosted. I've found many different little articles and sites where I can research from. It turns out their are a lot more turbo d16's than I thought.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:56 PM
fraggle rock

kyle h. will become famous soon enough

It's all in the tuning.

I am running a d16z6 (sohc vtakkk!!) 165k miles before I boosted it. Just make sure your compression is in spec. If not, a simple rebuild will suffice for 10psi on most turbos. T

he first few posts were completely bogus, I stoped reading after I stoped laughing.

I suggest checking out d-series.org and reading/searching.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Nigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the rough

like i said. All motors have their weak point unless they are built. But preventive maintanence,and a Good tune will keep a motor Lasting for a long time..people do Stock block boost setups Everyday..and for the most part they dont blow up.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx 200+hp240sx

didnt know the early tegs came with that d16, never looked into it so yep I am a jerk. anyways, good luck with your build and if this is for a learning experience then go at it and have fun.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a d16 motor.