Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Rear shock bolt broke

Old 05-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms
Default Rear shock bolt broke

So, I just got my springs in and I did the front, so I moved to the rear... Now, I was prepared for the shock bolt to be tight, but snapping it didn't cross my mind. Well, it happened. I've heard it happens on a lot of Civics, especially older ones like mine (93 Del Sol).
Anyway, anyone know of any remedies to get the bolt out? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:30 PM
ahhhh

split has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rear shock bolt broke

a picture might help us see what your facing...
otherwise I say screw/bolt extractor, vice grips, pb blaster, tighten it first, torch...
Old 05-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Registered member

ferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond reputeferio has a reputation beyond repute

if it broke and its still on the car either cut the strut off at the mount or like he said use a extractor. you might also be able to use a hacksaw blade if you can get to the bolt between the lower arm and strut
Old 05-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Gah... I'll try to snap a picture or two tomorrow. I think I'm going to bring my impact home tomorrow to try to at least put some torque on it.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:40 PM
ahhhh

split has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backtoarms
Gah... I'll try to snap a picture or two tomorrow. I think I'm going to bring my impact home tomorrow to try to at least put some torque on it.
you will make it worse...but suit yourself.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Out of mind, BRB....

Drake69 has disabled reputation

You COULD cut the rest of it flush to the car and hack and tap a new hole for the bolt. Less aggravation, depending on your skillset.

Jeep shock bolts are notorious for snapping, and I had three snap in mine when I did the lift kit. Tapping and threading a hole in what's left of the bolt followed by a stronger bolt and that SOB ain't coming out anytime soon.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Well, I don't have the skills to do that... let alone the resources. But, I do have an air hammer and a compressor...? I'll be making noise tomorrow.