Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Radiator Blew

Old 04-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond repute
Default Radiator Blew

So I'm driving home from Norfolk tonight and I notice my temp gauge sitting pretty close to the red line. Normally I would be worried about this, but considering my gas and MPH gauges are off I figured it was just the whole cluster fucking with me even more and it was just getting close to it's time. The car is driving the same, no weird noises, no smoke, nothing. So I get off my exit and pull up to a stop light and I see smoke... greaaaaat. I get home and step out of the car and see the coolant all over the ground so I immediately knew wtf was going on. I pop the hood and take a look and I don't see any hoses busted or a source from the coolant leak. I'm going to put it up on jacks tomorrow and take another look, but is it possible that the seals on the radiator itself blew? If not what all am I looking at replacing and about how much? Any help is appreciated and I'm going to try an pick up these parts tomorrow so a prompt response would be awesome!

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Registered member

driveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond reputedriveitright has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Radiator Blew

nobody has any input.. ?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:25 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

yes its possible, but of course double check the source of the leak before going and buying a radiator
Old 04-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Uno Mas

p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone

Hard to give the hoses a good visual inspection at nighttime. I'd honestly guess a cracked or split hose though, I've had 2 crack on me in the 2 civics that I owned. No replacement for sunlight when looking in an engine bay, I'm sure you'll find it tomorrow. Shoot me a PM, I need to come get my Duburbia cd anyways, I'll help.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Registered member

Nice man, i'll shoot you a PM sometime and you can swing by, appreciate it.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:49 PM
CTR
ACCOUNTANT

CTR has disabled reputation

throwing any check engine light codes?

1: if the car over heats, while you are moving. ie moving at a fast enough pace so that wind will help cool your radiator; temp gauge is 25%-75% range. there is probably a problem with the radiator itself, water pump (improper coolant circulation), or maybe it is just the water temperature sensors.

2: if the car only overheats when you are at a stand still then you fan is not kicking on. the fan should come on after about 10 mins when the car is warmed up.

if this is a honda (not sure about other models) you can test it by unpluging the water temperature sensor on the thermostat, and jump that plug that plugs into the sensor via paper clip, stick 2 ends of a wire, something to connect the electrical current. put the key into the ignition and turn to the 2nd notch w/out turning the car on, the fan should kick on.

if the fan comes on when you jump it, but not when you wait for it to come on then it could be fuses, air in the coolant system, bad water temperature sensors, or bad thermostat.

if you are unsure of how any of this stuff looks, goto hondaautomotiveparts.com and look at the parts diagram.

when my car overheated, the coolant started to boil and spilled out the coolant overflow tank. that could be were it is coming from or just a leak in the radiator. just turn the car on and see if it leaks on the ground or check for wet spots in the engine bay.

it might be too late but fyi do not EVER run the car when the needle is all the way up to red! better safe then sorry! if you run the car hot enough, it will warp you head = blown headgasket = sweet smelling white smoke out your exhaust / oil in the coolant overflow tank / coolant in oil pan. just wait until the car cools down then drive or get it towed. dont try and be a hero!

hope that helps and good luck. keep us updated
Old 04-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by CTR
throwing any check engine light codes?

1: if the car over heats, while you are moving. ie moving at a fast enough pace so that wind will help cool your radiator; temp gauge is 25%-75% range. there is probably a problem with the radiator itself, water pump (improper coolant circulation), or maybe it is just the water temperature sensors.

2: if the car only overheats when you are at a stand still then you fan is not kicking on. the fan should come on after about 10 mins when the car is warmed up.

if this is a honda (not sure about other models) you can test it by unpluging the water temperature sensor on the thermostat, and jump that plug that plugs into the sensor via paper clip, stick 2 ends of a wire, something to connect the electrical current. put the key into the ignition and turn to the 2nd notch w/out turning the car on, the fan should kick on.

if the fan comes on when you jump it, but not when you wait for it to come on then it could be fuses, air in the coolant system, bad water temperature sensors, or bad thermostat.

if you are unsure of how any of this stuff looks, goto hondaautomotiveparts.com and look at the parts diagram.

when my car overheated, the coolant started to boil and spilled out the coolant overflow tank. that could be were it is coming from or just a leak in the radiator. just turn the car on and see if it leaks on the ground or check for wet spots in the engine bay.

it might be too late but fyi do not EVER run the car when the needle is all the way up to red! better safe then sorry! if you run the car hot enough, it will warp you head = blown headgasket = sweet smelling white smoke out your exhaust / oil in the coolant overflow tank / coolant in oil pan. just wait until the car cools down then drive or get it towed. dont try and be a hero!

hope that helps and good luck. keep us updated
Yea that helps, ill check some of that out tomorrow. Didn't wanna pull over on the expressway at 9pm and wait to get towed so I toughed it out, and I didn't see any smoke until I got to a stop light in my neighborhood anyway so I figured it was my cluster fucking up like I had said. I didn't see any oil in the overflow tank so I guess that's a good thing? But yea the engine bay was pretty fucking hot. Guess we'll have to wait an see tomorrow what the damage really is but I appreciate your advice.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:03 PM
CTR
ACCOUNTANT

CTR has disabled reputation

yeah man, its no problem at all.

oh yeah, one more tip, turn the heater on full blast. it will help keep the engine cool when you are running into coolant problems. make it a little safer on your engine to drive.

check to see if there is any coolant in the oil, but looking at the dipstick. if there is a water drops on it, then you know that the coolant is spilling into the oil. (water and oil dont mix)

good luck
Old 04-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by CTR
yeah man, its no problem at all.

oh yeah, one more tip, turn the heater on full blast. it will help keep the engine cool when you are running into coolant problems. make it a little safer on your engine to drive.

check to see if there is any coolant in the oil, but looking at the dipstick. if there is a water drops on it, then you know that the coolant is spilling into the oil. (water and oil dont mix)

good luck
Yea i'll do that as well, hopefully not but we'll see tomorrow. I'll post up again with whatever I find.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:40 AM
Banned

joblow is an unknown quantity at this point

come pick me up, i cant drive for a while

Quick Reply: Radiator Blew